Hard freeze/crashes at completely random times

jktstance

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
Hi all,

I'm at a complete loss here. I have a new system build from around 6 months ago and it has run without issue. Then, a few days ago, while I was out, the system shut down or froze and when I came back the power button did nothing, The fans were all running like the system was fine, but I had to shut off the PSU and turn it back on for the power button to function.

When it happens, I hear a small pop from the speakers and the display immediately shuts off, but all of the system lights and everything are running. If I bring up the Event Viewer, I see an error 41 (Kernal-Power) with a Bugcheck code of 0 and everything else is 0x0. The other non-critical errors I see don't seem very useful.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that overheating doesn't seem to be an issue. When this happened for the first time, all of my fan speeds were reset (BIOS speeds were the same, but suddenly something in Windows was causing the CPU fan to go a bit faster). After fixing this, using ASUS Fan Xpert, all temperatures seem to be very good even under load.

I have stress-tested the machine in a game for several hours and it ran flawlessly, so I cannot seem to recreate this issue. It just happens at completely random times.

I am not plugged in to a UPS, so I'm wondering if my outlet is having micro-brownouts or something, but I've never had an issue before on this or my previous build.

Could this be a PSU, GPU, or motherboard issue? Or will I need to take it to a shop for it to be diagnosed?

Thanks!

Parts List

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600)

SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 500GB SATA III 3D NAND Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-75E500B/AM

ASUS ROG STRIX B350-F GAMING AM4 AMD B350 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD RYZEN 5 1600 6-Core 3.2 GHz (3.6 GHz Turbo) Socket AM4 65W YD1600BBAEBOX Desktop Processor

EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 220-G2-0650-Y1 80+ GOLD 650W Fully Modular

Corsair Carbide Series 200R Black Steel / Plastic Compact ATX Mid Tower Case

ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1070 Ti DirectX 12 ZT-P10710C-10P 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card - AMP! Edition

64-bit Windows 10

jktstance

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
Update:

I tried to swap out my video card for an older one and I still have the same freeze.

A couple of passes of MemTest86 came back clean.

I'm currently reseating the CMOS battery for a reset and seeing how that works. Doing so restored my RAM speed to about 2133 MHz instead of the 2933 I was able to get before, so may that or something else from resetting the BIOS will work.

90% of the time these freezes require me to unplug the system for the power switch to work. A couple of times the system reboots on it's own. Most of the time I get a very short pop and maybe a bit of static in the speakers, and some others times it just freezes with nothing else.