Question Hard moral Dilemma for build/repair...

Dmcgee216

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2016
Ok, So Last month my wife said I could buy a 3090 if I can find one. Today, my kids old Fx-6350 bit the dust. She told me I have to subtract what it costs to replace his stuff from my graphics card budget. (I know, I know, that's harsh) I started digging and I think I can pull off a 9700k with a decent MOBO and 16gb of ram or a Ryzen 3700 with a decent mobo and 16gb of ram for under 600 or so if I make him stick with air cooling. Am I being selfish trying to hold the threshold down enough that I can still at least afford a 3080? Will it really be a bad deal in the long run to go with a little older of a processor? I'll also likely be upgrading his power supply as well.

https://www.microcenter.com/product...-f-rog-strix-gaming,-cpu---motherboard-bundle

https://www.microcenter.com/product...strix-z390-f-gaming,-cpu---motherboard-bundle

He really only plays roblox on it for gaming, but has expressed some interest in playing more games on the pc. Also, the 3080/3090 I was getting was going to net him a 1080 FE. So consider that he'd be pairing it with that instead of his old gtx970.

I'm feeling like I should be just getting him a better setup and waiting another year or so to get my graphics card but I'm also trying to run games at 4k and getting crap fps on my 1080. Feel free to make suggestions too, I'm trying to come up with a way to make his system work well and not need another upgrade in a just a couple of years. I DID get him a ps5 for xmas and camped out in front of gamestop one night for it and the 3090 was supposed to be my xmas/40th bday/15th anniversary present combined.

Ralston18

Titan
You must make the situation WIN-WIN.

You did not mention how old your son is (not asking) but in all likely-hood it is time for him to learn about budgets.

Present him with the options and trade-offs as you see them along with the cost of each option. Be honest and fair with that.

Divide the costs into what you are willing/able to pay and what amount is left. Again be honest and fair about that.

What is left will be his to pay..... He decides, he earns, he pays, and hopefully you both benefit.

Keep your part of the bargain and ensure that he understands that he must fully deliver his part of the deal.

Dmcgee216

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2016
Well, just to close out the thread my son and I made a deal with my wife that worked. He's going to help more with household chores (he's 12) and help out at both of our moms houses for the winter/spring. I pulled some money out of some poor performing stocks I had from a while back and we ended up getting a prebuilt ABS computer from newegg with an I9-9900k and RTX 3080. He is going to get my old machine with a 1080 in it. We're both happy (He is more of a console gamer so the 1080 is more than enough for him) and she hasn't complained too much about the extra cost because of the extra help and the money I cashed out.

I posted a new thread about my new dilemma... now that the PC has arrived... how do I seamlessly transfer my setting/files etc from the three 500gb drives that were in it? Technically, I could mirror my system drive with windows installed onto a partition on the NVME drive that came in it, but I feel like that would cause driver issues etc....

See my next journey unfold in my new thread here on tomshardware. lol.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...w-to-move-windows-data.3663174/#post-22065696