Hard V Mod 3870 Picture

LLJones

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
Hi,

I am trying to get some more bite from my Spider. I had used the pencil mod but found the graphite to be thermally unstable. This is a far better solution as I can adjust v to .001 of what I want. I used a Diamond card but ran into a small problem. The GPU v were as indicated by the guides, but the MEM v was at 1.92 NOT 1.96.

If you are going to try this at your own risk, then practice, practice, practice on an old dead board. The GPU single wire connection is a very small target. You will need some sort of magnification. You will only get two maybe three tries at it before you lift the trace.

I used a copper tip as I could file a very sharp point on it, I also tinned the wire and then squeezed the end flat. Try to find a wire that is the same diameter as the pad on the board.

If everything is set up right, each connection should take no more than 3/4 of a sec to complete using 40watt pencil iron. As I had done a lot of practice, I lucked out and only had to do each connection once. When I first started, I lifted a lot of traces on my dead 1950Pro until I got the hang of it.

A 100K trimpot is fine for the GPU, set at aprx. 75K for a v of 1.38~. The MEM trimpot on my card needed to be 250K as 100K set the v at 1.99. I have had to solder in 100K of resistors to bring the memory to 1.945.

I cut an old plug and soldered it to the probe points. This makes taking a reading super easy and I can adjust the v with no problems.

Did I mention that you must practice on an old board, or a cheap new one. I had done very little soldering up to this point.

Many thanks to Random Murderer for his initial guide.

904@1.382 stable and 1300@1.945 stable on air.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/I597aQ6X4y6aawPvw-dJwg?authkey=Gv1sRgCNL8uIe0qcKcZg&feat=directlink