Harddisk not working, make a sound like "tick" every second

Nov 13, 2018
I was trying to fix my friend laptop, then I wonder why the laptop doesn't boot into Windows. I look into bios, the harddisk is not even detected. But its make a sounds like "tick" every second, like it was trying to spin but it stuck.
Is there any chance that i can fix it? how?

It was Toshiba Harddisk

Solution

My sig pic to the right?
That's been well over a year since I put that one up.

Every single day I post in here, I see a few dozen posts where that is relevant.

"I accidentally formatted my..."
"My flash drive with the only copy of my doctoral theses went through the dryer..."
"My friend dropped my external drive"
"Ransomware, and the last 2 years of my son's baby pics are gone"
"My hard drive died..."

Every day, multiple times a day.

Hardware dies. Or is lost/corrupted/virused up.
Hardware is cheap. A dead drive should never be more...

Ralston18

Titan
Toshiba Laptop - correct? Model & specs?

Try running some hard drive diagnostics to determine if the problem can be narrowed down:

Start here:

https://toshiba-pc-diagnostic-tool.en.lo4d.com/

However, remember that anything you do may cause further failure and loss of data. Check with your friend to ensure that he/she at least has backed up data and/or the entire system.

Nov 13, 2018

i didn't know the specific model but it was axioo laptop, how do i diagnose the harddisk? its not showing on bios, and its the only harddisk on the laptop. the laptop can't boot at all.

Nov 13, 2018

just curious, is that your typical signature..... or you actually add that image on purpose??? :)
so there's no way to fix it?

USAFRet

Titan

My sig pic to the right?
That's been well over a year since I put that one up.

Every single day I post in here, I see a few dozen posts where that is relevant.

"I accidentally formatted my..."
"My flash drive with the only copy of my doctoral theses went through the dryer..."
"My friend dropped my external drive"
"Ransomware, and the last 2 years of my son's baby pics are gone"
"My hard drive died..."

Every day, multiple times a day.

Hardware dies. Or is lost/corrupted/virused up.
Hardware is cheap. A dead drive should never be more than "Aw crap, I need a new drive"
But your data should never be at risk.

Solution
Nov 13, 2018

thanks for the answer. I'll probably tell my friend to backup his data frequently.
by the way, it was the best answer i've ever see on the internet. :)

USAFRet

Titan

I can replace a drive. Either free under warranty, or out of pocket.
I cannot replace a pic of my eldest grandson, dressed in a pink tutu by his evil aunts, that was taken 12 years ago when he was age 2.
And yes, I plan on using that pic as blackmail when some girls start sniffing around...:ange:

Read here for various backup routines:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3383768/backup-situation-home.html