Harddisk work on desktop but not Laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zanaj Suki

Reputable
Sep 15, 2014
Hey. I had a lot of problems with incompality with windows 8 ontop of that I have had 7 full restores where the computer decided to quit it. I grapped my desktop one of my many windows 7 keys and install Windows 7 on its old harddisk. I installed it booted up without my other drives connected. Everything worked.

However now when I put it into my laptop it says it's non-bootable.

Anyone who have an idea whats causing this and how to fix it? I am currently on a linux OS on another harddisk.

2 things.
One: the hidden boot partition is likely on a different drive. You need to install windows with only that drive connected.
Two: there is a difference(huge between desktop and laptop) in hardware, and this means different drivers, so an OS built on a desktop will most of the time fail if you move the HDD to a laptop.

I re-read - Forget One.

Hey Zenaj Suki. As ss202sl said, drivers could be the reason. Also I would recommend that you check the boot order of the devices in BIOS. The other thing that comes to my mind is that the connection to the motherboard may be faulty and that the drive doesn't connect properly. If that's the case you should probably take the laptop to a service shop to be checked out. Are you using another drive with Linux on your desktop or laptop, because it doesn't get quite clear?

Boogieman_WD

Zanaj Suki

Reputable
Sep 15, 2014
If it was drivers how can it boot up with linux?
if it was the faulty drive how can it work on my desktop?
If it was faulty motherboard how can it boot up linux?
and to you boogleman_WD my linux harddrive is another harddisk so we are talking two harddisks 1 with linux which I am currently writing on and 1 harddisk with windows 7 64x They both that laptop harddisk I forgot the name of :) And both from different pc.

The boot order is
HDD
USB
CDROM
Network boot(Disable cause I got PXE error...and google commanded me to disable it xD)

So far it sound like a driver problem? Is there anyway I can troubleshoot this and if so how?
I did a fresh install on the windows harddisk.
If I took the drivers on this computer(Acer have it on their page) installed it on the drive via my desktop could this solve anything?

May 11, 2021
It might be that your laptop is not able to supply enough power required for an aging HDD. My old discarded laptop internal HDD works with 2.5 inch SATA to USB 2.0 converter and even better with Desktop SATA port. But not even detected in old HP laptop. SMART values checked in Desktop are passing. Few I/O errors are also there but drive is usable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS