Harddrive disapears suddenly

Flaboere

Commendable
May 6, 2016
Hey guys, new to the forum. I hope maybe you can help a little, here goes:

I have 2 harddrives (SSD w. Win10, 2TBHDD with data). Sometimes the 2TB disapears when in Windows. I can use the computer just fine, as Win is on the other drive. But when I then reboot, I'll get a message saying "Please insert bootable device" or that it can't find a drive to boot from. Often I can just keep rebooting, and suddenly it works. Sometimes rebooting causes it to get stuck on the boot-screen, forcing me to turn off computer and manually reboot the motherboard. This can all take up to several tries, and suddenly it works.

I've tried scanning the harddrives without anything showing up. I've changed the cables too, didn't work. I'm not sure if one or both of my harddrives are just dying (it's been like this for 6+ months) or if my motherboard is damaged.

You guys have any advice?

Solution
Just to update and be nice, I found out it was my 2TB that was broken. Or so it seems, at least; I noticed playing one game that would crash alot was located on it, while another that never crashed was not on the 2TB, så tried to move first game and that fixed the crashes. Have now reinstalled Windows and removed the 2TB and so far so good.

Thanks for the help.
Hi there popatim,

Could be some sort of a connection related issue. I see that you've used different cables.(I assume both SATA & power ones) It would be nice to attach the HDD to another SATA port as well.

I would agree with popatim. Was your SSD the only drive attached to your system during the installation process?

I believe it will not hurt to check the HDD's health status out: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/282651-32-best-diagnostic-testing-utility

Cheers,
D_Know_WD :)

Flaboere

Commendable
May 6, 2016
Just to update and be nice, I found out it was my 2TB that was broken. Or so it seems, at least; I noticed playing one game that would crash alot was located on it, while another that never crashed was not on the 2TB, så tried to move first game and that fixed the crashes. Have now reinstalled Windows and removed the 2TB and so far so good.

Thanks for the help.

Solution