Hardrive not readable

Aug 4, 2018
The HDD on my hp ProBook is not working properly. I managed to install ubuntu using a flash drive. In the setup it managed to find the drive and install the OS. However, I get a few errors. The laptop does not recognise the drive when I try to boot. And the built-in diagnostics shows a "hard drive read error".

I also have problems getting Disc manager and EaseUS Partition manager to recognise the HDD

I ran parted magic and completely wiped the entire drive. I still get the same errors...
What should I do?

UQ3nrqk.jpg

MvhbDd1.jpg

Q4gp0T1.jpg

Aug 4, 2018
I can't find the Secure Boot in my BIOS. However, i checked that the fast boot was disabled and also turned on UEFI mode.

I still have the same problem though:/
I use the HP ProBook 6560b, and it uses a different BIOS compared to what i am used to.

On the first image there are entries that I cannot see.
I think there should be Notebook Hard Drive under Legacy Boot Order, that should be selected.
By the way you should uncheck:
Floppy Boot
PXE Internal NIC Boot
Upgrade Bay Hard Drive Boot

Aug 4, 2018
I have tested both the HDD and the SATA port. Both are working fine. I am using the laptop as a ubuntu server, thats why i do not bother investing in an SSD.

Aug 4, 2018
Sure, to find out that the HDD worked, i booted it up from a different computer i knew was working. Then to find out if the Sata port was faulty, i put in a working HDD with Windows 10 on it (in the laptop), and it worked just fine.

There is something in the BIOS that does not let me boot into a different OS than Windows. But i can't figure it out.

- When you run the exe file, you will have the option: Create Recovery USB flash drive. You could use that USB to update the BIOS
- Also you could unzip the file, place it on a flash drive and plug it to the laptop. Power on the laptop and press F2,
you will see a System diagnostics mode, select the option to update the bios from a file. Also, pressing the Esc key repeatedly after powering on, will take you to the Startup Menu and pressing the F2 will take you to the System diagnostics.

Aug 4, 2018
I have updated many BIOSes manually in the past. But this one is a nightmare. The .exe file i download from the support file, installs 3 different folders under C:/ named sp52405, sp52405_F, sp52405_E

Then I have tried to run the HPQFlash utility that BTW does not support Windows 10. Then i tried hpqflash and got many "device media is write protected" after wiping the USB in EaseUS Partition manager and making the tickling a little with Rofus DOS-Free. The Rofus DOS-Free worked fine and booted up correctly, but i still get the "device media is write protected" error using sp52405_F.exe. However, sp52405_E.exe works just fine for some reason, but does make the Laptop boot from it and I am stuck with "Invalid System Disk" on the boot.

The way the current BIOS is even more confusing. It tells me to create a Hewlett-Packard folder then a BIOS folder and inside the BIOS folder I am supposed to put in the .efi and .sig file and probably some more.

All this is just a big mess. And I cannot figure out what i am supposed to do.

If you want to take a look at the specific setup I am using, you can download the .exe file below:
https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp52001-52500/sp52405.exe

The HPQFlash utility has to be run on the system to be flashed, so it will not work in another system.
I was able to create a bootable USB with both sp52405_E.exe and sp52405_E.exe files.
You could also boot the laptop and in the BIOS uncheck USB device boot. the connect the USB flash drive and press F2 to update using the System diagnostics mode.

I used both files (sp52405_E.exe/sp52405_F.exe) to create a bootable USB.
You could also place the BIOS file in a FAT32 USB disk, and use the System diagnostics mode to update the BIOS, without booting from the USB disk.
The BIOS files are inside the 68SCE and 68SCF in the sp52405 package. Just extract either 68SCE and 68SCF and you will see the BIOS update file named Rom.bin.

Aug 4, 2018
Thanks, I managed to find the BIOS file and put it on the drive.

When I go to the system diagnostics I get these 4 options:
1. System-Information
2. Start-Up Test
3. Run-In Test
4. Hard-Drive Test

How do I proceed

There should be more choices, when the BIOS file is scanned. It looks like the USB disk is not detected.
Remove the USB disk, and press the F2 key to return to the same system diagnostics menu (make sure the power cord is connected).
Now, insert the USB flash drive that contains the BIOS file into an USB port.
Do you see a Firmware Management or BIOS Management window?

If you don't see the windows, enter the BIOS and reset it to default settings and try again.