Question Hardware Acceleration Has Become a Problems

accesscpu_

Reputable
May 7, 2019
Recently I've been forced to begin disabling "Use Hardware Acceleration" across the board on my system. It's begun to cause problems in various forms. My videos do not render correctly if the option is checked, my web browsers won't load/display properly when streaming if it's turned on in Chrome or Firefox for example. And more issues relating to hardware acceleration similar to this pop-up. But unchecking/turning the option off always fixes the problem. This is strange, because I've always used it to great success in the past, with no issues. I did recently change to Windows 10 from Windows 7 (not a fresh install but an upgrade). Not sure how/why that would affect it. But I'm wondering why did this once very powerful and helpful option seem to become a thorn in my side?

Jan 4, 2022
I considered that, but already did a completely fresh install of the latest NVIDIA drivers to the current version. I'm running a GTX 1060 6GB on Windows 10.

I've seen suggestions to use DDU before updating or reinstalling display drivers when encountering related driver issues. Also make sure you manually find your most up to date driver instead of relying on any 3rd party software which will often bungle your drivers.

accesscpu_

Reputable
May 7, 2019
Does this problem happen only with video playback or with web browsers? Or does this also happen with 3D applications?

There is a hardware video decoder in the GPU, but it seems very unlikely just that part went bad.

If I render a video with hardware acceleration on, there is some weird light/dark flickering. When I disable it, it goes away. Another incident happened when I tried to live stream my Chrome browser. It wouldn't display for some reason (where it had been fine before). My research said to disable hardware acceleration in the browser. When I did, it worked fine.

Strange, because this is all-new behavior on an old system.

If I render a video with hardware acceleration on, there is some weird light/dark flickering. When I disable it, it goes away. Another incident happened when I tried to live stream my Chrome browser. It wouldn't display for some reason (where it had been fine before). My research said to disable hardware acceleration in the browser. When I did, it worked fine.

Strange, because this is all-new behavior on an old system.
Can you view videos locally just fine using say VLC, MPC-HC, or whatever Windows comes with?

accesscpu_

Reputable
May 7, 2019
what your full old system spec? include brand and model of the psu

My old specs are actually my current specs. I just upgrade my system from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and kept the old hardware. It's an i7 with 16gigs of ram, a 1060GTX video card with 6GB of RAM, and an ordinary Gigabyte 600 watt power supply.
Can you view videos locally just fine using say VLC, MPC-HC, or whatever Windows comes with?

Yup, VLC is my go-to, and no problems. Rendering only.

accesscpu_

Reputable
May 7, 2019
Is this gonna be one of those things I don't find a solution to until I change some hardware out? It's honestly baffling but could have something to do with upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10. My computer is a lot slower and generally not performing as well due to this. This may be because my system isn't ideal for it. Not sure what broke there.