[SOLVED] Hardware reserved memory 4/12 gb

Ayzzo

Prominent
Oct 21, 2019
Im having a problem with my ram. I'm using 3 slots with 4gb module each one but windows shows only 4gb usable, my windows is 64bits and when I put only 2 modules I can use the 8gb or when I use the slots 1,2,3 I think it let me use 8gb instead of 4 but I want to be able to use the 12gb.
Now im using the slots 2,3,4 according the bios but according to the motherboard I'm using the slots 1,2,3.
Tried with the msconfig to start with "max memory size" but nothing.
Motherboard gigabyte 970a-ud3p
Ram 3 modules Hyperx 4gb DDR3 1866
I know my mother caps the mhz of the ram to 1666 if I use 3 slots but idk why Windows dont let me use it.
View: https://imgur.com/a/N64JQLj

Solution
Oh , ok well Duh, i should of thought of this, but in order to run system in dual channel you NEED 2 sticks in each one, so maybe look into bios to see if some sort of RAM setting to switch to single channel ? ( I can not 100% recommend this as I have no idea what may happen if 1 there is a setting and 2 you switched it.) i quote from another site on dual channel explanation "the RAM modules must be matched in as groups that correspond with the level of multi-channel architecture, for example, dual channel requires pairs, quad channel requires four modules, and so on".

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
have you tried reseating them? it could be they just don't work together , unless bought as a kit there is no guarantee they will work together. maybe try installing 1 in slot 1 , (do for each) to verify they work individually, then add to second slot, to see if it shows 8gb and so on.. but could be it wont read individual sticks too..

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
I've also seen this happen with CPU coolers not mounted properly causing too much pressure on corner of CPU and making DIMM slots become unusable, they will show as hardware reserved. so if you've recently installed a new cooler maybe make sure all standoffs are proper and the screws are tight enough etc

Ayzzo

Prominent
Oct 21, 2019
I've also seen this happen with CPU coolers not mounted properly causing too much pressure on corner of CPU and making DIMM slots become unusable, they will show as hardware reserved. so if you've recently installed a new cooler maybe make sure all standoffs are proper and the screws are tight enough etc
All sticks works alone, I reseated all of them and now im using only 2 sticks . If I use the sticks in the 1,3 slots or the 2,4 slots I can use 8gb fine, the problem is when I use the 3rd stick, and Im not sure why but I think if I put 3 sticks like 1,2,3 slots I can use 8gb but If I use the 2,3,4 slots I can only use 4gb (not sure exactly if 1,2,3 or 2,3,4 let me use 4 or 8, but one of the combinations let me use 8 and the other 4) on the bios the 12gb appears without problems

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
I'm just shooting in the dark here , but perhaps when it works in the 1,3 combo makes sense as its the "pair" and the 2, 4 slot not having a mate may simply not work? and Id bet main slots 1,3 need to be used before 2,4 that's why when you install on 2,3,4 only 4Gb shows.. would be my guess as for Bios, it may "see" the Ram but not be able to use it still

Ayzzo

Prominent
Oct 21, 2019
I'm just shooting in the dark here , but perhaps when it works in the 1,3 combo makes sense as its the "pair" and the 2, 4 slot not having a mate may simply not work? and Id bet main slots 1,3 need to be used before 2,4 that's why when you install on 2,3,4 only 4Gb shows.. would be my guess as for Bios, it may "see" the Ram but not be able to use it still
I think like you but I'm 90% sure I used 12gb in the past (like a year ago) and works fine. Then I switched to 2 sticks cause the dual channel and the mhz cap but now I was trying to test the performance with 12gb of ram and can't use it and I'm like u cause I think the same about the slots and the 4/8 gb but im not tottally sure if that can happens and if I can use 12 anyhow :c btw do u think I can get better perfomance using 12gb instead of 8? Or do u think it will be the same? Because in some games I think the 8gb of ram are causing some sttutering (that's why I was trying to test with 12)

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
honestly depends on what you're doing, for instance most games you wouldn't see much (if any) benefit as few use more than 8gb that said a lot of new AAA games are saying MIN of 8GB needed on system and some want as high as 16GB recommended. but this isn't many games that I know of, now if your rendering video then yes 12Gb would be a bit better, however probably not much, better I think "better" would be 16Gb ,(for gaming) and if your into hard core video editing etc. maybe 32GB (assuming board can handle 32Gb some max out at 16Gb, some go higher)

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
Oh , ok well Duh, i should of thought of this, but in order to run system in dual channel you NEED 2 sticks in each one, so maybe look into bios to see if some sort of RAM setting to switch to single channel ? ( I can not 100% recommend this as I have no idea what may happen if 1 there is a setting and 2 you switched it.) i quote from another site on dual channel explanation "the RAM modules must be matched in as groups that correspond with the level of multi-channel architecture, for example, dual channel requires pairs, quad channel requires four modules, and so on".

Solution