[SOLVED] Hardware reserved memory problems

Jan 5, 2021
basically windows detects my RAM but only uses half of it. i've got 16 gb ram running on dual channel and only 8gb is usable in windows. i've seen this problem everywhere but now im experiencing it myself and all the solutions that ive looked up in forums doesn't work.

most people say to go to msconfig and uncheck the maximum memory thing, but ive tried it and it doesnt work. ive also tried the registry editor solution and it also doesn't work. one notable thing that probably is the factor is i just changed my motherboard, and the problem only started then. when i changed my motherboard i only have 8 gigs of ram (which then windows only used 4 gigs after the motherboard change), and ive tried every solution then so i thought the only possible fix would be to buy new ram sticks (which i also need to upgrade anyway), but then windows still only uses half of the full capacity of my ram, even after changing it. Any sort of help with this problem will be very much appreciated.

Specs:
Ryzen 5 1600 with stock cooler
Asrock B450 Pro4 AM4
16 gb KLEVV DDR4 3200MHz RAM
GIGABYTE G1 GTX 1070
1TB WD BLUE HDD

Solution
That RAM issue can be caused by an overtighten CPU cooler. The Memory Controller is inside the CPU.

Could be
  • The mounting pressure on the CPU
  • The RAM slots
  • Faulty RAM
  • RAM not installed properly
What BIOS version are you running?
That RAM issue can be caused by an overtighten CPU cooler. The Memory Controller is inside the CPU.

Could be
  • The mounting pressure on the CPU
  • The RAM slots
  • Faulty RAM
  • RAM not installed properly
What BIOS version are you running?

Solution