Question Hardware reserved occupies 3.3gb in the total of 6gb Ram for Toshiba satellite L755 laptop

funnyguys

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2015
i have totally 6 gb ram in 2 slots, one is 4gb and another one is 2gb. when i check in task manager it shows 3.3gb used by hardware reserved. Why this much of memory is occupied for Hardware reserved.
My os windows 8.1 32 (64 bit processor)
B940 processor
6gb ram
500gb hdd.
Can anyone help me to resolve my problem.

Lutfij

Titan
You could try and reseat the rams and see if that helps resolve the issue or see if the laptop is pending any BIOS updates but I suspect the issue is with your OS and a reinstall is in order, provided you've tried msconfig route to alter the memory allocated to your OS.

Just an FYI, you could drop in a 2x4GB DDR3-1333MHz 1.65v dual channel SO-DIMM ram kit and you should be at 8GB, which is the max memory supported by your platform.

funnyguys

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2015
You could try and reseat the rams and see if that helps resolve the issue or see if the laptop is pending any BIOS updates but I suspect the issue is with your OS and a reinstall is in order, provided you've tried msconfig route to alter the memory allocated to your OS.

Just an FYI, you could drop in a 2x4GB DDR3-1333MHz 1.65v dual channel SO-DIMM ram kit and you should be at 8GB, which is the max memory supported by your platform.
max 8 gb supported and per slot 4gb allowed.

That's a bit low, but 2.7GB usable is actually not the lowest I've seen when using 4GB+ on a 32-bit OS. Usually it's between 2.75-3.5GB usable. Are you sure PAE is enabled? That allows even a 32-bit OS to remap hardware address space to above the 4GB limit. Badly-written 32-bit drivers will reserve huge chunks of physical memory addresses for their memory-mapped registers.

The examples I've seen that are worse than yours usually involved multiple installed graphics adapters though, and you only have the IGP.

But yeah, I suggest installing 64-bit Windows 10 as it can use the whole 6GB, runs OK on 6GB, and is still supported with security updates until October 2025. Probably not worth investing any money in a laptop that can only be used online for another year.

After that, you could install whatever you wanted on it for use offline-only. XP runs great on only 2.7GB and your Sandy Bridge era system fully supports it.