Question Hardware/software ?

7medd

Reputable
Nov 14, 2020
Hello,
My specs are https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BmczH2 .. (everything is accurate exept the PSU which is the LC Power LC8850III V2.3 Arkangel 3)

Everything worked fine untill a month ago , my PC started to crash to desktop or reboot or shut down and reboot gaming . It happened sometimes when I ran CPUz benchmark , it happened when I ran timespy benchmark.

This problem came just before the windows 11 22H2 , I installed the update (not to try to solve anything) but the problem seemed to go away for some days, but came back and it is getting worse.
Verified cables ,connections , everything looks normal.
Temperatures are normal when gaming or benchmarking . GPU never goes above 73 celcius and CPU 75 .. Mobo temps are normal, highest value was 74 , the other sensors were in the 60 . Some time I get to pass timespy and get a score of 13000 GPU / 11000 cpu .. but most of the time it either crashes , or ends and tells me it cant give results. Userbenchmark results were normal , I can pass it anymore right now to link results . When I monitor power draw when gaming (msi afterburner) I see my GPU draw like 200 watts and cpu 80 watts whitout problems .. sometimes it crashes when load is low .. I dont OC GPU or CPU btw.
Tried to clean RAM slots , no success.

When using PC for browsing , office , I encounter no problem
I made a video for 2 types of crashes , first in apex I got a reboot , then in cyberpunk I got a crash to desktop.. there is another type of crash that I didn't film, when the PC shuts down completely (all lights off) than restarts , like a blackout somehow .. Here the video

I ran sfc / scannow , repaired this file Repaired file: C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\bthmodem.sys but nothing changed . windows is uptodate, nvidia drivers are uptodate .. made DDU nvidia driver but didnt solve it .

https://streamable.com/x9sc1s

So any Idea what it could be? software ? hardware ? PSU ? GPU (plz no) ? mobo?
Sorry for my bad english

Turn off auto-restart on system failure.
You should get BSOD (with some relevant info) instead of reboot after that.

Under-System-failure-uncheck-Automatically-restart.png

Reactions: Zerk2012 and 7medd

7medd

Reputable
Nov 14, 2020
I'd personally go for a Seasonic Prime or Corsair RX/HX, but that's me. But anything is better than that PSU that you have in there currently.
Found seasonic focus 1000w for 50$ more and corsair rm 850 for 10 $ more
That are the models available in my country

Gonna try this tonight before I order anything

7medd

Reputable
Nov 14, 2020
I think I would have to know the exact model of that Corsair RM, but if it's manufactured after 2021, you should be good. 1KW is kind of overkill but that is a good choice.
CP-9020180-EU
This is the model reference. I cant find the manufacuring year though

90YE00A4-B0NA00 this is the asus. I found a good review for this model from gamers nexus where they say it is a seasonic rebranded module
View: https://youtu.be/ftF8V6Di84s

They both are in my budget. I dont want to spend extra knowing another part might be the culprit

Where do I find this menu please?

7medd

Reputable
Nov 14, 2020

7medd

Reputable
Nov 14, 2020
Thank you I found it
I think I'm not gonna try to reproduce the shut down again. I fear , if the PSU is culprit, it might damage the GPU or the mobo , if they are not already . I ordered the PSU and it should arrive tomorrow . If will try this diagnostic method if the problem persists .
I think I would have to know the exact model of that Corsair RM, but if it's manufactured after 2021, you should be good. 1KW is kind of overkill but that is a good choice.

Hello again,
So what is new. I replaced my PSU with a ASUS ROG 850 gold and the problem didn't go away.
I tried another clean windows install.
I took the PC into a local repair shop. he ran some OCCT benchmarks. It ran well when with GPU (reached 240 watts , 82celcius hotspot) and CPU . Than found 4 errors within a minute of testing RAM. Forgot to mention I did try to run memtest86 on my own before (xmp on) and had like 4000 errors in like 5 minutes so I thought I did something wrong and stopped it. We thought it was RAM and decided to change it .

Now after the repair shop visit, I got back home, removed my to sticks of ram and cleaned them and the slots (didnt find any dust tbh as I clean PC reagularly). After that I retried OCCT memory benchmark and didnt get any errors after 15 mins. Did a full memtest86 with 5 passes overnight and it passed sucessfuly. Tried to game for 10 minutes without any problem.
So i did some benchmarks and what I see is this SSD error on userbenchmark , though the test went to the end
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/56031153

Tried to check SSDs with crystal info :

I'm gonna keep using it like this for now untill somethin new happens. If there are other tests to please tell me

Last edited:

g-unit1111

Titan
I'm gonna keep using it like this for now untill somethin new happens. If there are other tests to please tell me

If all else fails, it wouldn't hurt to wipe your primary boot drive and reinstall Windows. Could be a bad driver or update didn't go smoothly, something like that. Be sure to backup your data first.

It could also be the boot drive itself, too. I had a faulty boot drive on my primary system, and I replaced it with a Samsung 980 Pro and it's been smooth sailing ever since.

7medd

Reputable
Nov 14, 2020
If all else fails, it wouldn't hurt to wipe your primary boot drive and reinstall Windows. Could be a bad driver or update didn't go smoothly, something like that. Be sure to backup your data first.

It could also be the boot drive itself, too. I had a faulty boot drive on my primary system, and I replaced it with a Samsung 980 Pro and it's been smooth sailing ever since.
I did twice . I said that in the first post . Now everything seems to be back in order after I cleaned the 2 ram sticks . The only anomaly is the SSD result in userbenchmark. Although crystalmark results are good .

7medd

Reputable
Nov 14, 2020
Well , I will continue this thread since I seem to find the cause. It was xmp profile

The problem appeared again after I changed PSU and ram . I didnt mention that from the start I had my mobo fail to boot when xmp enabled , I had to restore default settings than enable xmp again for it to post nomally, but no crashes for months untill october 2022.

my new current setup is this https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BXVW8r

Now I dont want to lose my mobo . Is there a way to enable xmp safely ?

7medd

Reputable
Nov 14, 2020
Set DDR Voltage to 1.35V
Latencies 16-18-18-36
Command Rate 1T

And start gradually increasing Dram frequency. Save, reboot and test after each frequency change.
2666mhz,2933mhz,3000mhz,3200mhz

When test fails, return to previous settings, that worked.
Did this and got it stable at 3000 .. than I tried to increase voltage to get a stable 3200 mhz. I got it at 1.43 v . Is that safe for everyday use? I get normal mobo temps all the time