[SOLVED] Hardware starts failing after boot ?

Mar 4, 2023
Hello, hopefully there is someone out there that can help me with this problem, I would say I'm quite knowledgeable when it comes to hardware, but this one has me clueless.

My PC Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x
GPU: RTX 2060 Super
RAM : 16GB 3000mhz
PSU: Raidmax 530W
MB: Asus Prime A320M-K

Last night my computer was functioning normally like it always would. I didn't have any hiccups or stutters what so ever, I switched it off through windows, didn't force anything.

Today I switched on the computer, I noticed there is no network, so I come to find that the network adapter is completely removed. I restart the computer to see if it will fix the issue, the network adapter is restored, about 5 or so minutes later. My headset sound cuts out and it switches over to HDMI audio, the network adapter gets removed again, Windows Explorer starts freezing, every now and then I would get the popup that says "Microsoft Windows: The application is not responding...". I would restart again, this time it already boots without network adapter. At times the computer would not even POST, it would sometimes get stuck on the ASUS bios screen, windows would sometimes just load forever with nothing happening in the end. On occasion it would also give the "USB device over current status detected" even though no USB's were plugged in at the time. The computer wouldn't restart when its frozen on windows, it will just hang there until I do something myself. I've had the chance to start CS:GO and play for about 3 minutes before it froze again. 1/3 when I booted to Hiren Boot CD, I received a kernel security check failure BSOD.

Everything is telling me the motherboard is busy failing rapidly, but I would like to confirm since I am on a tight budget.

What I have tried so far:
  • Using a complete seperate drive to install Ubuntu (the OS also crashes after a few minutes)
  • Replacing the CMOS battery with 3 different ones (including a brand new one)
  • Using different RAM sticks in different slots
  • Unplugging all USB connections, including the front IO connectors from the motherboard.
  • Reseating GPU
  • Checked the status of my drive in the computer, no issues.
  • BIOS update
  • Booting to Hiren's Boot CD from flash drive (network adapter also disappears after a few minutes)
Unfortunately I do not have an extra PSU to test, but I will be testing a GT 1030 in the system soon.

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Yeah, the Raidmax PSU is the obvious first place to check and a giant red flag. This company is infamous for their cheap junk-tier PSUs. And if it's the RX 530-SS, the only 530W I'm' familiar with offhand from them, it's actually terrible for a Raidmax. It's quite shocking this was ever used with a Ryzen system and a 20-series Nvidia GPU. Hopefully, it's the PSU itself failing, not other components failing because of damage caused by a completely inappropriate PSU.

Mar 4, 2023
Yeah, the Raidmax PSU is the obvious first place to check and a giant red flag. This company is infamous for their cheap junk-tier PSUs. And if it's the RX 530-SS, the only 530W I'm' familiar with offhand from them, it's actually terrible for a Raidmax. It's quite shocking this was ever used with a Ryzen system and a 20-series Nvidia GPU. Hopefully, it's the PSU itself failing, not other components failing because of damage caused by a completely inappropriate PSU.

That was pretty much the only PSU I had at the time, budget is really tight like I said, it worked for the longest time with my old GTX 1050, so I used it and never thought of upgrading. The 2060 didn't run too long off it though, I would say 2 months. I replaced it with the only other 500W I could find without purchasing a new one. I know it's underspecced but it seems to be running fine for now. The PC didn't encounter any issues until it froze again, motherboard speaker told me its a memory issue, removed the one stick, now its booting fine with no issues. I'm just curious now as to whether the PSU damaged the RAM stick or if it just broke on its own, considering its 5 years old. The RAM stick's RGB still lights up when in the computer. I would say changing PSU fixed the issue, just weird to me how everything "kind of" worked.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
That was pretty much the only PSU I had at the time, budget is really tight like I said, it worked for the longest time with my old GTX 1050, so I used it and never thought of upgrading. The 2060 didn't run too long off it though, I would say 2 months. I replaced it with the only other 500W I could find without purchasing a new one. I know it's underspecced but it seems to be running fine for now. The PC didn't encounter any issues until it froze again, motherboard speaker told me its a memory issue, removed the one stick, now its booting fine with no issues. I'm just curious now as to whether the PSU damaged the RAM stick or if it just broke on its own, considering its 5 years old. The RAM stick's RGB still lights up when in the computer. I would say changing PSU fixed the issue, just weird to me how everything "kind of" worked.

What's the other 500W? That doesn't sound promising.

Do you still have the 1050? I wouldn't run the 2060 with this under any circumstances and if this 500W is no-name junk, I wouldn't run it with that either, unless you're not counting on the 2060 to live a long, happy life.

All this modern hardware and it seems that the most important part to have something of at least budget quality was treated like a complete afterthought.

Mar 4, 2023
What's the other 500W? That doesn't sound promising.

Do you still have the 1050? I wouldn't run the 2060 with this under any circumstances and if this 500W is no-name junk, I wouldn't run it with that either, unless you're not counting on the 2060 to live a long, happy life.

All this modern hardware and it seems that the most important part to have something of at least budget quality was treated like a complete afterthought.

I stopped using the computer after the power supply dilemma, I put it aside until I got my new PSU. I purchased a DeepCool DA700

The PC worked fine for about 3 days, then the exact same symptoms came back again. At this point all fingers for me are pointing at the motherboard, but I am also not sure anymore

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I stopped using the computer after the power supply dilemma, I put it aside until I got my new PSU. I purchased a DeepCool DA700

The PC worked fine for about 3 days, then the exact same symptoms came back again. At this point all fingers for me are pointing at the motherboard, but I am also not sure anymore

The DeepCool is a pretty bad one. Though probably better than the Raidmax, but not by much.

Have you ever done a full, fresh install of Windows?

Mar 4, 2023
The DeepCool is a pretty bad one. Though probably better than the Raidmax, but not by much.

Have you ever done a full, fresh install of Windows?

I noticed a little bit more about whats going on, I reinstalled windows but saw that it is still doing the same thing, I removed all my SATA drives and only left in the NVMe, when the devices stops working, windows still works normally, i can browse files on my drive, open programs, play music, but when you look in device manager, the network adapter and usb host controller shows a yellow triangle, saying “Device could not start”. I bought a new C32 battery (Energizer). It worked fine for about 2 hours. then did the same thing. So I am out of ideas at this point.

TRENDING THREADS