[SOLVED] Hardware Swap Question

Coinbro

Prominent
Dec 26, 2020
Hello!

Currently I am planning on replacing my current cpu for a Ryzen 5 5600x and my old, current motherboard. I've been searching online for the methods of performing this hardware swap and I've become quite overwhelmed.

So I have a few questions, what's a good budget motherboard for this system. I run a rtx 2060 with it for extra info. Also it has to have onboard wifi or be cheap enough to warrant buying a wifi pcie card to pair up with it.

This is the pc that I will taking with me to my dorm for college so I want to make it last awhile. Also I know how to install a new mobo and cpu, but apparently you also need to wipe your hard drive and reinstall windows?

I understand how to physically install these parts but what comes after really confuses me.

Solution
Firstly check your current motherboard's manufacture site to see if it is compatible with the 5600X, could save you a few bucks if you already have a compatible board, if it's not here's a couple budget boards that I recommend under 200$:
MAG B550 tomahawk
Asus ROG B550-F
Choosing a board also depends on what you think looks good with your system and has all the features you want in a board. Most modern boards are pretty durable and highly capable (as long as they're above 100$...), once you lock onto which board you want do some further research to see what people are saying about it and what reviewers say you can or can't do with it (i.e overclocking) just -in-case.

Giant Hunger

Respectable
Jun 23, 2021
Hello!

Currently I am planning on replacing my current cpu for a Ryzen 5 5600x and my old, current motherboard. I've been searching online for the methods of performing this hardware swap and I've become quite overwhelmed.

So I have a few questions, what's a good budget motherboard for this system. I run a rtx 2060 with it for extra info. Also it has to have onboard wifi or be cheap enough to warrant buying a wifi pcie card to pair up with it.

This is the pc that I will taking with me to my dorm for college so I want to make it last awhile. Also I know how to install a new mobo and cpu, but apparently you also need to wipe your hard drive and reinstall windows?

I understand how to physically install these parts but what comes after really confuses me.
What mobo are you using right now?
Btw you dont need to wipe out and reinstall windows, you can just remove the current drive that has windows in it and move it to another rig, and windows will configure things out. I swap my ssd to different computers all the the time, no need to reinstall windows.

USAFRet

Titan
Btw you dont need to wipe out and reinstall windows, you can just remove the current drive that has windows in it and move it to another rig, and windows will configure things out. I swap my ssd to different computers all the the time, no need to reinstall windows.
Sorry, that is SO incorrect.

When changing motherboards, there are 3 possible outcomes.
  1. It works just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It "works", but you're chasing issues for weeks/months.
I've personally seen all 3.

Good that it seemingly worked for you. It does NOT work all the time. Period.

A fresh OS install is always recommended, oftern required.

Firstly check your current motherboard's manufacture site to see if it is compatible with the 5600X, could save you a few bucks if you already have a compatible board, if it's not here's a couple budget boards that I recommend under 200$:
MAG B550 tomahawk
Asus ROG B550-F
Choosing a board also depends on what you think looks good with your system and has all the features you want in a board. Most modern boards are pretty durable and highly capable (as long as they're above 100$...), once you lock onto which board you want do some further research to see what people are saying about it and what reviewers say you can or can't do with it (i.e overclocking) just -in-case.

Solution
What mobo are you using right now?

Totally bad advice. Windows sometimes 'sorts itself out' but even then, weird stuff can happen.

If changing motherboard, reinstall Windows.