[SOLVED] Hardware Upgrade Advice.

kostas1127

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2015
Hello my friends, so i have an i7 4770,8gb of ram 2x4 and a b85m g43 motherboard. I want to upgrade my ram and thermal paste so i want to get the Corsair Vengeance ddr3 1600 mhz cl10 and the arctic silver 5 3.5mg.

And i plan to sell my current ram. Question number 1. Did i make a bad decision to upgrade my ram instead of going to next gen ddr4? Also is the arctic silver 5 a good thermal compound? Will it help the temps? I use a cheap thermalpaste that came with my cooler from coolermaster.

And final question. Is the i7 4770 + 16gb ram good for the future in the near 2-3 years? Should i have gone with ryzen 5 1400? I dont like ryzen so much because most of them dont have Igpus. And also will i see any difference from 8gb dual channel ram to 16gb of ram dual channel in heavy games like modern warfare,battlefield etc?

I also want to multitask a lot, alt tab. have a browser open etc. In short is my choice a good one or did i just waste money on something useless and should have gone with ddr4?

Btw my gpu is an rx 570 4gb nitro+ which i manually oced to 1400 mhz on core and 2100 mhz on memory.

Solution
Question number 1. Did i make a bad decision to upgrade my ram instead of going to next gen ddr4?
That will depend on your needs. If you think the upgrade serves you well then you did the right thing for you.
Going with DDR4 requires a new motherboard and CPU.

... is the arctic silver 5 a good thermal compound? Will it help the temps? I use a cheap thermalpaste that came with my cooler from coolermaster.
Most of the thermal compound that comes with coolers it's just fine if applied correctly.
Some might dry out with time so re-applying could give you a better temps.

Is the i7 4770 + 16gb ram good for the future in the near 2-3 years? Should i have gone with ryzen 5 1400?
The i7 4770 is a very good CPU, so the...
Question number 1. Did i make a bad decision to upgrade my ram instead of going to next gen ddr4?
That will depend on your needs. If you think the upgrade serves you well then you did the right thing for you.
Going with DDR4 requires a new motherboard and CPU.

... is the arctic silver 5 a good thermal compound? Will it help the temps? I use a cheap thermalpaste that came with my cooler from coolermaster.
Most of the thermal compound that comes with coolers it's just fine if applied correctly.
Some might dry out with time so re-applying could give you a better temps.

Is the i7 4770 + 16gb ram good for the future in the near 2-3 years? Should i have gone with ryzen 5 1400?
The i7 4770 is a very good CPU, so the Ryzen 5 1400 might not be a good upgrade.
Depending on what you do, it could handle gaming and multitasking very well.

I dont like ryzen so much because most of them dont have Igpus.
Why do you need a iGPU, when you have a dedicated GPU?

And also will i see any difference from 8gb dual channel ram to 16gb of ram dual channel in heavy games like modern warfare,battlefield etc?
You might not see a noticeable difference while gaming.

I also want to multitask a lot, alt tab. have a browser open etc.
Here you will notice difference between 8GB and 16GB of RAM....specially if you have many tabs open.

Solution

kostas1127

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2015
First of all i want to thank you for helping me and replying to my post. I appreciate it. People keep telling me that i should just go on ddr4 platform and stop wasting money on upgrading a dead system. But personally i do believe that a i7 4770 is not bad and i cant give it up.

Also about the ram i want to game and also have tabs open + discord and programs in general. Im tired of seeing a 90% ram usage every time i play cod. I need igpus because sometimes if my card for example breaks and i have to wait some time i can use the hd 4600 and its life saver for me.

Also the thermal paste i use now dries up easily i mean i apply it and then in 2 months temps increase a lot and i have to redo it. Besides i use the pea in the middle method, so its not a problem with my application method. Will i see a difference with the AS5? At least longevity if not outright temperature decrease.

The i7 4770 is a very good CPU for gaming and multitasking and it still relevant.
Recently, its price went down drastically because of AMD Ryzen.
I have a PC with it and I use it for video editing and gaming with a GTX 1070ti.

I understand why you might want a CPU with integrated graphics. It does not matter to me because I have spare parts lying around.

I have used AS5 and Thermalright CF3 thermal paste and they didn't lose viscosity for a couple of years.

TRENDING THREADS