Question Hardwired Backhaul with low speeds ?

Apr 12, 2024
I have a tp link deco mesh x60 system with 2 units (one on each side of the house). Just had an electrician run cat 6 cable for a wired Backhaul. When I run a speed test wired to the main unit it is 250mbs but when I test something wired to the new Ethernet outlet upstairs it’s only 10mbs. I got the same speed hooking the remote deco to the new Ethernet outlet (wired Backhaul) and running a cable from the deco to the computer. Or plugging the computer directly into the new port on the wall. Any ideas?

kanewolf

Titan
I have a tp link deco mesh x60 system with 2 units (one on each side of the house). Just had an electrician run cat 6 cable for a wired Backhaul. When I run a speed test wired to the main unit it is 250mbs but when I test something wired to the new Ethernet outlet upstairs it’s only 10mbs. I got the same speed hooking the remote deco to the new Ethernet outlet (wired Backhaul) and running a cable from the deco to the computer. Or plugging the computer directly into the new port on the wall. Any ideas?
An electrician may not have wired them correctly. It is not their primary job.
Assuming you have keystone jacks on each end of the in-wall cabling, I would take the wall plate off and post a closeup picture of the wiring.
Use imgr or another image hosting website. Post a link here.

Reactions: jenken1820
Apr 12, 2024
An electrician may not have wired them correctly. It is not their primary job.
Assuming you have keystone jacks on each end of the in-wall cabling, I would take the wall plate off and post a closeup picture of the wiring.
Use imgr or another image hosting website. Post a link here.
Turns out it was having cat 7 and 8 cables mixed into the setup. I swapped them all with cat 6 and all is working great

You can intermix the cables with no issue. The problem is the cable need to be real and there are massive amounts of fake cable sold. The cables do not actually meet the specification.

Cat8 cable for example are really only used when you have equipment that has 40gbit ports. These cables are extremely expensive and only large data centers really buy them. When you can afford a device that has a 40gbit port the cost of cable tend to not matter a lot. They really are only sold by retailers who only sell to corporate customers. I don't know if any cat8 cable on amazon are real.

Cat7 cables were never really fully certified, everyone uses cat6a for 10g. Cat7 cables also tend to be very expensive to manufacture because of all the extra shielding etc that is require.

I would bet well over half of all the cable for sale on amazon are fake in one way or another and amazon doesn't care but if you sell a fake purse they shut the sales down immediately.

Reactions: jenken1820