[SOLVED] Hardwired PC being throttled at 100Mbps.

Aug 21, 2019
Hey guys first post here sorry if it's in the wrong location. So today we just upgraded our service from 100 to 400Mbps. While we did notice 350Mbps (as per speed test on smart phone) My PC is being throttled at 100Mbps. Have tried multiple fixes online, including changing out the cable. (using a Cat5e) as well as messing with the Duplex. No joy. Any suggestionts? Will provide particular hardware on request.

Solution
There are usually lights on ethernet ports so you can tell what speed they connect at. If for example your PC connects at gigabit to the router, but if each router (now that you have two to try) only connects at 10/100 to the modem, then that strongly suggests the NIC in the modem is partly broken.

If it's the PC and router at 10/100, the Realtek driver has settings for "Auto Disable Gigabit" in addition to the "Speed & Duplex" you messed with.
Somewhere along the path, somebody is running a 10/100 NIC. What the dickens that does means you ask. Typical:

Modem(NIC1) ---> (NIC2)Router(NIC3)--->(NIC4)Switch(NIC5)---->(NIC6)Your PC.

NIC=Network Interface Card, or simply, an ethernet port.

So if ANY of those NICs are old 10/100 speed, you will be reduced as such.

Aug 21, 2019
Somewhere along the path, somebody is running a 10/100 NIC. What the dickens that does means you ask. Typical:

Modem(NIC1) ---> (NIC2)Router(NIC3)--->(NIC4)Switch(NIC5)---->(NIC6)Your PC.

NIC=Network Interface Card, or simply, an ethernet port.

So if ANY of those NICs are old 10/100 speed, you will be reduced as such.
So how would one go about fixing that?

Aug 21, 2019
you mean you renting them? either buy one that can handle faster speed or contact them and get a faster router.
Currently renting the router yes. Could that be an issue even though it's putting out 350mbps through wifi? If so there is a particular router I had in mind that I'll just go buy right now.

Aug 21, 2019
The most obvious and cheapest thing to try is a new ethernet cable. Gigabit requires all 4 pairs to be working but up to half of the wires could break and it would still work fine at 100Mbit. I've seen brand new cables that were bad.
I have tried 4 different cables including 2 new ones. 1 of which was a cat6. The others were all Cat5e

Aug 21, 2019
I have also tried examing the pins and hardwiring directly to the modem to no avail. It seems to be an issue with software or my mobo limiting my mbps on my pc. Any ideas as to what software to look for?

There are usually lights on ethernet ports so you can tell what speed they connect at. If for example your PC connects at gigabit to the router, but if each router (now that you have two to try) only connects at 10/100 to the modem, then that strongly suggests the NIC in the modem is partly broken.

If it's the PC and router at 10/100, the Realtek driver has settings for "Auto Disable Gigabit" in addition to the "Speed & Duplex" you messed with.

Solution
Aug 21, 2019

I've looked for the "Auto Disable Gigabit" settting but I can't seem to find it in the realtek properties

TRENDING THREADS