Question Has anyone dealt with Western Digital/WD/SanDisk lately?

Oct 19, 2024
I received the most bizarre support reply recently that indicates, to me at least, they are having serious problems...too serious for me to continue using their newer products. (I always successfully used Western Digital drives without question.) When asked why a new blue WDS100T3B0B I just received was green, the answer received was “Most computer chips are made from a material called silicon, which is naturally green in color.” I pointed out that silicon is light gray-blue in colour and the units are made of several materials including silicon. I also included a link to the WD Blue SA510 description on their website, clearly showing the blue coloured SSD.

Another problem was the SSD did not fit in any of four M.2 connectors on both Asus and Gigabyte motherboards. It was also stated that a WDS100T2B0B not only fit easily in those connectors but worked well. The WD reply included links to WD documents stating it works. Was I to believe WD documents trump reality? That was a notion too far even for me. I’m moving on to more suitable companies after that expensive lesson.

Any experience with Crucial P3 Plus 2TB?

Oct 19, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

WDS100T2B0B
That's a SATA based M.2 SSD,
the SSD did not fit in any of four M.2 connectors on both Asus and Gigabyte motherboards
what are the make and models of your motherboards?
ASUS Prime B550-PLUS

Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE AX V2

As the data sheets for both SSDs and the support reply indicate, the WDS100T3B0B and the WDS100T2B0B should have the same dimensions.

Thank you for the quick response.

USAFRet

Titan
ASUS Prime B550-PLUS

As the data sheets for both SSDs and the support reply indicate, the WDS100T3B0B and the WDS100T2B0B should have the same dimensions.

Thank you for the quick response.
As said above, those are SATA drives.
It is the M.2 format and 2280 size, but the connector end is different.
They will NOT fit in an M.2 NVMe slot.

https://www.westerndigital.com/en-ap/products/internal-drives/wd-blue-sata-m-2-ssd?sku=WDS100T2B0B

https://www.westerndigital.com/en-i...es/wd-blue-sa510-sata-m-2-ssd?sku=WDS100T3B0B

On those motherboards, the M.2 ports are both SATA and NVMe capable.

Reactions: Lutfij
When asked why a new blue WDS100T3B0B I just received was green, the answer received was “Most computer chips are made from a material called silicon, which is naturally green in color.”
Seems like some AI chatbot generated response.
PCB of WDS100T3B0B M.2 drive is green. This is normal.

98f4a797-7879-4bda-b007-61d300d688dc.jpg

Another problem was the SSD did not fit in any of four M.2 connectors on both Asus and Gigabyte motherboards.
ASUS Prime B550-PLUS
SATA M.2 drive (B+M key) will fit into both - SATA M.2 (B+M key) and NVME M.2 (M key) slots.
But will work only, if SATA M.2 is supported.

de140a6027c54081bbf8f2e60c6d6562.jpg

All M.2 slots on both boards support SATA and NVME drives.
You probably were installing M.2 drive upside down. That's the only way, it could not fit.

Last edited:

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Any experience with Crucial P3 Plus 2TB?

Someone here on the forum turned me on to these while Amazon was running a really nice sale price. I currently have two of them in use as primary drive, and did a few builds for others with them as well. I have had no issue with them so far. edit- I should point out that I am not using the 2TB models but not really sure what difference that would make.

Side note that I also have used the WD Black and WD Blue drives for years. I just have, very recently, started having issues with some of the older 2.5" SSD WD Blue drives. That is another story.

Reactions: CatMenDo
Has anyone seen WD's forum lately? It is subject to a constant deluge of spam which is never deleted. The only input from WDstaff (?) is to ask whether the OP has initiated a tech support case. It looks like WD's "support" has been delegated to AI bots. These bots never respond to any direct queries.

If the root cause is bad NAND, then a firmware update is just masking the problem.
yes, but drive disconnecting until reboot sounds like controller issue, and if theres one person claiming he had same issues with said drive and drive later proclaimed to be dead until he got one day bored and tryed to flash it while hotswapping it to somehow connect it with wd dashboard, fw update did revive it

if there would be wide spread nand issues, then thats on kioxia, micron and such
bad nand doesnt make drive dissapear, it just make either your storage as RAW partition or you would see very low number of space on it (ram buffer wide from 0-few GBs) in bios detect window
here example of dead nand:
View: https://imgur.com/JaXzUX7

Last edited: