[SOLVED] Has anyone put a 3060 into an older OptiPlex 3020 (i5-4590) ?

favreervaf

Prominent
Oct 2, 2022
I can buy large form factor Dell OptiPlex 3020 from someone cheap and am going to change out the PSU to a 750 watt, yes I will need the 24-pin to 8-pin power adapter for Dell proprietary crap.. but has anyone done this before and had it work? Any PCIe issues with it being 2.0 etc? I don't want to purchase the OptiPlex and adapter unless this works. I've seen some newer cards not work on Youtube but other ones (3060Ti) did.

Solution
If the PCIe slots in that board are PCIe 2.0 I can almost guarantee it isn't going to work because there are even a lot of much newer boards, ESPECIALLY OEM models, that even have 3.0 slots but lack BIOS support for 3xxx series cards. Not to mention, there is no way that anything designed for or compatible with that old of a platform could in any way even remotely keep up with with a 3060 so you would in essence be intentionally installing a very bad bottleneck, if you could even get it to work, which is decidedly unlikely.

I mean, that's a 9 year old platform. Most those OEMs don't support BIOS updates for more than two or three years at best. If there is a BIOS update for that board that is newer than the release data of the 3xxx...
If the PCIe slots in that board are PCIe 2.0 I can almost guarantee it isn't going to work because there are even a lot of much newer boards, ESPECIALLY OEM models, that even have 3.0 slots but lack BIOS support for 3xxx series cards. Not to mention, there is no way that anything designed for or compatible with that old of a platform could in any way even remotely keep up with with a 3060 so you would in essence be intentionally installing a very bad bottleneck, if you could even get it to work, which is decidedly unlikely.

I mean, that's a 9 year old platform. Most those OEMs don't support BIOS updates for more than two or three years at best. If there is a BIOS update for that board that is newer than the release data of the 3xxx series cards then you MIGHT get it to work, but you'd still have a terrible unbalanced system. You'd be better off with almost anything from a Ryzen 3 or i3 from the last couple of generations than even the best of what could have come in that Optiplex 9 years ago.

Solution