[SOLVED] has anyone put a wraith prism on AM3+ M5A99FX Pro R2.0?

mc_spaceman

Reputable
Aug 6, 2019
I am just curious if i have the clearance between my cpu and ram to mount a wraith prism from a 1st/2nd gen ryzen 7? I know these coolers are reverse compatible with the socket mount, however i do know they are larger, but just how much? will i be able to mount it on my motherboard?

Solution
Strait from AMD
"The Wraith Max is also compatible with AMD FX™ 4000/6000/8000-series processors (socket AM3+) and AMD A-Series and AMD Athlon™ processors (socket FM2+). On motherboards that do not support RGB illumination control, the cooler will not be color configurable and will illuminate red."
I believe the prism and max are close size wise so the prisn should also work.

These coolers are decently small and dont interfere with ram. I havent heard of any issues with ram height issues.
They're not all reverse compatible, only AM3 heatsinks that use the mounting clips work on AM4 without a special mounting. The Spire and Stealth use the mounting holes of the backplate and they have a different hole spacing from the AM3 socket so they won't work, but the Prism uses the clips.

I think you would most likely run into problems with memory and VRM heatsink height if they are extra big on your board. But I also think the standards for spacing and heights of memory and VRM components from the CPU shouldn't have changed if they are part of the ATX standard.

Strait from AMD
"The Wraith Max is also compatible with AMD FX™ 4000/6000/8000-series processors (socket AM3+) and AMD A-Series and AMD Athlon™ processors (socket FM2+). On motherboards that do not support RGB illumination control, the cooler will not be color configurable and will illuminate red."

These coolers are decently small and dont interfere with ram. I havent heard of any issues with ram height issues.

Reactions: mc_spaceman
Solution

mc_spaceman

Reputable
Aug 6, 2019
Strait from AMD

well.. with that being mentioned i think i am just going to bite the bullet and buy my friends wraith prism off of him, and just see if it works.. if it doesnt, i guess i could always throw it on my ryzen 3 2200g.. lol $20 is cheap for a trial..

Reactions: NightHawkRMX
Not sure what the rgb will do on an older board when not plugged in. I suspect it will either not light at all or shine solid red.

AM3+ coolers and the Wraith Prism use the same retention mechanism.

According to an amazon listing for the wraith prism
"Supports Motherboard Socket: AM2/ AM3/ AM3+ / AM4"

Reactions: mc_spaceman

mc_spaceman

Reputable
Aug 6, 2019
Not sure what the rgb will do on an older board when not plugged in. I suspect it will either not light at all or shine solid red.

AM3+ coolers and the Wraith Prism use the same retention mechanism.

According to an amazon listing for the wraith prism
"Supports Motherboard Socket: AM2/ AM3/ AM3+ / AM4"

i read somewhere that if there is no connected rgb header, it will default into the rotating rgb spiral effect the prism does. i guess we will see soon enough.. i will post further details when i do try this. fingers crossed i get the results i want..

mc_spaceman

Reputable
Aug 6, 2019
it has been a while since i have been on, and just realized i never did update this thread.

the prism fits perfectly, and with the USB header plugged in it rotates RGB on both the ring and fan. cooling? my cpu is running 5-10*c cooler with an overclock to 4.5ghz (3.5Ghz base clock) on my AMD FX 8320.

next is a video card upgrade as i had to revert to my old r9-270..

View: https://imgur.com/w0Vty1U