[SOLVED] Has anyone seen this 7-pin USB 2.0 header before?

Jan 16, 2022
I bought an Omen 30L, i9-10850k. The cooling is so terrible that it sits at 100C and thermal throttles. Not just mine, either. A buddy of mine got the same one and has the same problem. So I bought a Fractal case and a H100i AIO and moved all the components over to the new case/cooler. Now I'm trying to figure out where to connect up the H100i Light Control Module, which requires a "USB 2.0" motherboard header. The thing is, with this intel mobo, there's only two headers available for that sort of thing: a 7-pin (tiny. maybe 2mm standard?) header labeled "FRONT_USB2", and on that appears to be a standard 9-pin USB 2.0 header labeled "MUSB". (pics below)

So the PC is not recognizing the H100i in the iCue software (an not seeing it in the device manager or anything) except for (what I think to be the fan controller) "Corsair Bus", which does have the right drivers. So I'm thinking this "MUSB" header may be some proprietary header made only for Omen's Light Control Model. This leaves the only possible solution to be that unused tiny 7-pin header...

I know that's a long windup for a simple question, but has anyone seen anything like this header before? Why is it not standard 9-pin? Is there even a converter for it? (I can't seem to find one.) Thanks in advance!
7-pin USB 2.0"MUSB"

Last edited:

Richez

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2015
Do you know where the MUSB header leads? Looks like that might be the actual USB header and best bet is to get a usb 2.0 splitter to get another 2.0 connection for the light control module. i had to do the same with my ryzen itx setup since the mobo only had 1 usb 2.0 conncection which was already being used by the NZXT module. Something like this should work just fine. Its been working well for over a year for me and allowed me to route some of the cables out of the way given the added length

Just double check to make sure that the MUSB header leads to that front panel before moving onto a solution.

Richez

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2015
Ehh also seems i didnt read the bottom of your post by mistake and jumped the gun what does the pin layout of the 9 pin look like and i have a feeling ive thrown a 9 pin usb connector on a 7 pin in the past cant remember to be honest

Jan 16, 2022
The Omen case has an LED light bar, front LED fan, and a custom LED power indicator. These were powered by a light (& fan) control module, which is a small board that was connected by a 9 pin cable plugged into the MUSB header. Now, I have the H100i's light (& fan) control module plugged into it.

I think you're right. I think it's an HP proprietary header. Not to mention the motherboard complains that the CPU_FAN header is not configured correctly on boot (but it performs as expected) with the H100i.

I hate to admit it, but I may need to find another motherboard. I can't believe how much money it costs to own a decent gaming computer these days.

Here's a pic of Omen's stock light control module board, if you're curious: