[SOLVED] Has anyone used a HDMI to DVI adaptor before, did it work?

Jun 7, 2020
Hellos!

I have a lcd monitor that uses a DVI connection, however I am interested in getting a video card that requires at least an HDMI connection.

Has anyone personally used a HDMI to DVI converter, or a cable to get around this issue? Did both the monitor and video card work fine?

I don't want to upgrade my current monitor because it works fine.

Edited the original question in subject line to HDMI to DVI because the order in the question, matters.

Last edited:
Solution
Yes it'll work no problem. Have used DVI to Hdmi cable and vice versa with the same cable.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yes it'll work no problem. Have used DVI to Hdmi cable and vice versa with the same cable.

Solution
Jun 7, 2020

Thank you so much for the confirmation!

kanewolf

Titan
Hellos!

I have a lcd monitor that uses a DVI connection, however I am interested in getting a video card that requires at least an HDMI connection.

Has anyone personally used a DVI to HDMI converter, or a cable to get around this issue? Did both the monitor and video card work fine?

I don't want to upgrade my current monitor because it works fine.
It will work. There is one possible issue. Content which requires HDCP (high def copy protection) may not display in high def. DVI does not support the handshake and security that is required for HDCP. General use, should be fine. But Netflix might not be 1080p for example.

Jun 7, 2020

That link is very informative! I realize that the question should have been "HDMI to DVI" because as the article stated, "ORDER MATTERS!"

Jun 7, 2020
It will work. There is one possible issue. Content which requires HDCP (high def copy protection) may not display in high def. DVI does not support the handshake and security that is required for HDCP. General use, should be fine. But Netflix might not be 1080p for example.

That's good to know. I have never heard of HDCP, but it indeed
Yeah order does matter for some adapters, ie; HDMI <> DP where one direction can be passive and the other needing active power to convert. DVI/HDMI works either way.

Kanewolf made a good point about HDCP.

Hey Boju,

Did you ever notice anything funky when you went converted from HDMI to DVI-D regarding HDCP?

Jun 7, 2020

I have never heard of HDCP before, but it seems like a pain in the butt... The followup really popped up from the wiki page about HDCP:

"Edward Felten wrote "the main practical effect of HDCP has been to create one more way in which your electronics could fail to work properly with your TV," and concluded in the aftermath of the master key fiasco that HDCP has been "less a security system than a tool for shaping the consumer electronics market."

Man, I was hoping to go from a RX 5700 XT, or maybe a RTX 2070 Super to an older 2014 era Acer LCD monitor which uses DVI-D. Hopefully it won't be a problem... but it is annoying something like this HDCP thing exists.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I have never heard of HDCP before, but it seems like a pain in the butt... The followup really popped up from the wiki page about HDCP:

"Edward Felten wrote "the main practical effect of HDCP has been to create one more way in which your electronics could fail to work properly with your TV," and concluded in the aftermath of the master key fiasco that HDCP has been "less a security system than a tool for shaping the consumer electronics market."

Man, I was hoping to go from a RX 5700 XT, or maybe a RTX 2070 Super to an older 2014 era Acer LCD monitor which uses DVI-D. Hopefully it won't be a problem... but it is annoying something like this HDCP thing exists.

What's the resolution/refresh of this monitor? A lot of 2014 monitors, this wouldn't make sense to do anyway.

Jun 7, 2020
I use HDMI -> DVI-D cable. For DVI-A or DVI-I you need a box.

That's good to know, and was something I was not aware of.

I did some research on this page to find out more: https://www.displayninja.com/dvi-i-vs-dvi-d/

From what I read there, my GeForce GT 620 card probably has a DVI-I port, which is compatible with DVI-D (but not DVI-A)... My 2014 era LCD monitor probably uses the DVI-D signals. ..

So i think a passive cable should work, like what you have.

The original question was not as simple as I first thought.

Jun 7, 2020

According to specs it's got DVI D.

Should have asked, what's the rest of your specs including power supply? Monitor is fine, just checking to see if your system can run the new card and supply it with the necessary PCIe cables.

Hi here are my specs:

Midtower
i7-4790K
ASUS H81M-K motherboard
2 x 8GB DDR3
Nvidia GeForce GT 620
250GB SSD
1TB WD SATA HDD
ThermalTake Smart 600W 80+ PSU
Acer S230HL 23" LCD