Question Has the Weather Widget changed on Lock Screen?

Dec 19, 2023
Hi everyone, I have three devices with Windows 11 and the latest updates installed.

I am a bit confused about the weather widget on the Lock Screen as it looks different on one of my devices.

Up until I reset a device, the Lock Screen weather widget looked like basic text.

After resetting one device back to factory settings and turning the weather widget on in Lock Screen personalisation settings on another device, they both now look different with a card style box with weather in.

The problem is my third device has the latest updates but doesn’t have the smarter weather widget.

Has the Lock Screen weather widget been redesigned and do I need to be worried that my laptop doesn’t have the update?

Thank you.

Dec 19, 2023
It just started popping up on my main PC a few days ago and I have, in the mean time, simply ignored it.

Just checked. My Lock screen status choice had been set to "Weather".

Selected "None" and the Weather widget is gone.
I see, so I don’t really need to worry then - the feature is gradually being rolled out?

Ralston18

Titan
Not sure about "rolled out" per se.

Also could be one of those "its a feature, not a bug" circumstances... AKA happy accident....

I turned on another system that had not been on for a couple of days. No weather widget.

However, after locking the screen and unlocking to check something else (unrelated, late thought) then three widgets appeared on the lock screen: Weather, Stock, NBA/Sports.

Took a quick look but did not note a "None" or other menu from which to delete them.

Likely need to find some other slider/option that needs to be changed in order to remove the widgets.

And hopefully not something else in the process..... :)

I do feel safe (no worry) about ignoring the widgets again until I get around to taking a further look at it all.

Or they might simply disappear on their own with some update.

Reactions: WinSoft
Dec 19, 2023
Not sure about "rolled out" per se.

Also could be one of those "its a feature, not a bug" circumstances... AKA happy accident....

I turned on another system that had not been on for a couple of days. No weather widget.

However, after locking the screen and unlocking to check something else (unrelated, late thought) then three widgets appeared on the lock screen: Weather, Stock, NBA/Sports.

Took a quick look but did not note a "None" or other menu from which to delete them.

Likely need to find some other slider/option that needs to be changed in order to remove the widgets.

And hopefully not something else in the process..... :)

I do feel safe (no worry) about ignoring the widgets again until I get around to taking a further look at it all.

Or they might simply disappear on their own with some update.
So some of your systems like mine show different widgets? That’s interesting!

Colif

Win 11 Master
The enhanced “weather and more” experience began rolling out last week to Windows Insiders in the Release Preview Channel. As with any update, we will take a measured approach to the rollout and broad availability will occur in phases. Devices running Windows 11, version 23H2 (and later) and Windows 10, version 22H2 (and later) that have installed the April 2024 monthly security update (or later) will now be included in a phased rollout of this new experience.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com...re-on-the-lock-screen-in-windows/ba-p/4101024

its new, and link shows how to stop it.

If you don’t want to see this experience, you can navigate to Settings > Personalization > Lock screen > Lock screen status and select None.

I got it today and thought... I never see lock screen at start up, and that widget is new... I have turned it off already.

They use a staged approach to updates, if laptop doesn't have it yet, it will... could be they spoke to maker of laptop and it might need an update to work with it. Possibly.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2023
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com...re-on-the-lock-screen-in-windows/ba-p/4101024

its new, and link shows how to stop it.

I got it today and thought... I never see lock screen at start up, and that widget is new... I have turned it off already.

They use a staged approach to updates, if laptop doesn't have it yet, it will... could be they spoke to maker of laptop and it might need an update to work with it. Possibly.
Thanks for the information. I’ve just looked online and on my other devices it only shows the weather widget which was a previous update I think back in January? The new update mentioned in that link seems to incorporate other widgets and cards?

Source: https://www.thurrott.com/windows/wi...k-screen-just-days-after-limited-public-tests

Is your device just showing the weather widget now where previously it was text or the new update which incorporates other cards and widgets?

Thanks.

Colif

Win 11 Master
These are the choices I have
56NQkU4.jpeg

on build 22631.3447

Is your device just showing the weather widget now where previously it was text or the new update which incorporates other cards and widgets?

I don't know. I can't go back in time to see what it said in there before last weeks update. All I know is i hadn't seen anything there at all before today. Normally on startup I don't see lock screen at all, it would start on the screen asking for PIN. Nvme starts me into windows in 15 seconds, no need to slow down to let it load...

I only noticed the weather widget as startup was different. Now I have turned it off, I won't know if they add any more.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
I just checked my other system. Three widgets: Weather (actually titled with where I live), Markets, and NBA.
Went to the Lockscreen settings and the setting was "Weather and More". I changed the setting to "None".

All three widgets disappeared.

I know I would not have enabled "NBA". I might have left "Markets" up for a while.

I fully expect some other widget(s) to appear. Microsoft likely to add others and just flip the switch back again.

Other/new widgets just lumped into "Weather and More". At which time I will probably need to go back and change the switch back to "None" again.

At least until "More" becomes a list of individual widgets. Then I might pick a couple....

Colif

Win 11 Master
Weather is actually the only widget I do use, but I don't need to see it at startup. I use the widgets page so often I had forgotten how to get to it. There is nothing there I can't find anywhere else.

Its possible there isn't much to show in the more area in my country, hence all I saw was weather. I think it was on Weather & More by default.

Dec 19, 2023
These are the choices I have
56NQkU4.jpeg

on build 22631.3447

I don't know. I can't go back in time to see what it said in there before last weeks update. All I know is i hadn't seen anything there at all before today. Normally on startup I don't see lock screen at all, it would start on the screen asking for PIN. Nvme starts me into windows in 15 seconds, no need to slow down to let it load...

I only noticed the weather widget as startup was different. Now I have turned it off, I won't know if they add any more.
I don’t see anything on the Lock Screen at startup, just when I lock the device.

I think everyone is getting confused between two updates to the weather widget on the Lock Screen now looking online.

There was an update in January 2024 to the weather widget on the Lock Screen it seems to make it more refined in a box and then starting March 2024 even if you had the option set to show nothing on the Lock Screen, the weather and more option now shows.

I don’t have the weather and more option on my Lock Screen as it’s being rolled out in the US, but I think I should have the update from January though.

Just wasn’t sure if anyone else still had the text version of the weather widget. If you had it set to none then naturally you wouldn’t be able to know in that case. 😊

Dec 19, 2023
I just checked my other system. Three widgets: Weather (actually titled with where I live), Markets, and NBA.
Went to the Lockscreen settings and the setting was "Weather and More". I changed the setting to "None".

All three widgets disappeared.

I know I would not have enabled "NBA". I might have left "Markets" up for a while.

I fully expect some other widget(s) to appear. Microsoft likely to add others and just flip the switch back again.

Other/new widgets just lumped into "Weather and More". At which time I will probably need to go back and change the switch back to "None" again.

At least until "More" becomes a list of individual widgets. Then I might pick a couple....
I just replied above that I still have the old text for weather on one of my devices but all of the other devices have a refreshed design from January 2024 for the weather widget on the Lock Screen.

I now understand starting March 2024 Microsoft are rolling out ‘weather and more’ feature.

I’m just wondering whether I need to be concerned that one of my devices still has the old text design for weather.

Ralston18

Titan
I expect that the apearence of the weather widget depends of the device in question. The device may or may not have been slated for the rollout.

Or if it was to be updated then maybe the rollout/update failed for some reason.

Windows device? Check Update History. Ensure that updates have not been paused.

If possible and applicable - just try launching a manual update.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I’m just wondering whether I need to be concerned that one of my devices still has the old text design for weather.
its probably just slow to roll out. I said that before, updates don't all happen at once to everyone. There are too many windows installs to do that. Windows updates are staged, it might get it in the next few weeks. Its like version updates, some people get them right away, others have to wait a while. Mums PC often gets updates slower than mine does.

If update failed, it would show as such in windows update history... but windows update would tell you about it on front screen.

you could check pc
right click start
choose terminal (admin)
if it doesn't open as powershell, click on the drop down arrow in header field and choose from list
copy/paste this command into window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth

and press enter

Then type SFC /scannow

and press enter

Restart PC if SFC fixes any files as some fixes require a restart to be implemented

First command repairs the files SFC uses to clean files, and SFC fixes system files

SFC = System File Checker. First command runs DISM - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/what-is-dism?view=windows-11

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2023
I expect that the apearence of the weather widget depends of the device in question. The device may or may not have been slated for the rollout.

Or if it was to be updated then maybe the rollout/update failed for some reason.

Windows device? Check Update History. Ensure that updates have not been paused.

If possible and applicable - just try launching a manual update.
Thank you for your help, I don’t think it’s linked to any particular update as on a laptop I use for work today that changed the design of the weather widget without any updates.

Dec 19, 2023
its probably just slow to roll out. I said that before, updates don't all happen at once to everyone. There are too many windows installs to do that. Windows updates are staged, it might get it in the next few weeks. Its like version updates, some people get them right away, others have to wait a while. Mums PC often gets updates slower than mine does.

If update failed, it would show as such in windows update history... but windows update would tell you about it on front screen.

you could check pc
right click start
choose terminal (admin)
if it doesn't open as powershell, click on the drop down arrow in header field and choose from list
copy/paste this command into window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth

and press enter

Then type SFC /scannow

and press enter

Restart PC if SFC fixes any files as some fixes require a restart to be implemented

First command repairs the files SFC uses to clean files, and SFC fixes system files

SFC = System File Checker. First command runs DISM - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/what-is-dism?view=windows-11
Thank you, I have already run those commands. I now understand the Lock Screen design has changed reading online in more detail & that it will roll out eventually, but doesn’t seem linked to any particular update. Cheers for the help.

Reactions: Ralston18 and Colif