Haswell And Richland Memory Scaling: Picking A 16 GB DDR3 Kit

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crooked windows

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2013
Is industry-standard DDR3-1600 C11 standard????? I have never heard of C11 for 1600 .... C9 maybe !
talk about real estate sales fudging to make the others look good.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Fudging? You think C9 is fudged RAM? It's just non-standard performance RAM.

JEDEC sets the standards and its a VERY conservative organization. They set standards that most of their partners can copy, and that most systems can handle at default voltage with 100% stability. It took FOREVER for them to even set a standard for DDR3-1600, and I'm fairly confident that standard is at C11.

crooked windows

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2013

Ah you made me laugh and its probably true but I'm sorry, it's just like a sales guy for Dodge Viper comparing it to a Daritz, No the fudging is sales Gobbledygook , nothing to do with fudged RAM but in the time I have scoured the web reading up on RAM , this is the first time that C11 has cropped up, every review seems to state 1600 with C8 or 9, Only saw it as a curve ball, theres probably a 1600 C12 in a museum some where too. hey and thanks for putting me straight.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Right, CAS 11 is the standard for "universal" DDR3-1600, ie the generic stuff. When you buy a notebook with DDR3-1600 CAS 8, it usually comes set at DDR3-1600 CAS 11 with no option to modify the timings. I've been slamming builders for that for a while now, offering the "upgrade" for a set price when the "upgrade" doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.