Haswell-Based Xeon E3-1200: Three Generations, Benchmarked

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jackbling

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
amk-aka-Phantom

Server hardware is made with uptime in mind (hotswappable parts, beefier raid controller, additional qc), hp and cisco dont sell snake oil, and are market leaders for a reason.

ECC ram is only important if the server must maintain 100% uptime; the error checking can prevent an application crash from a bad module.

If high availability is not the primary concern, lease a virtual server from amazon; not only will it be cheaper than the cost of electricity for running a server, but you can skip the hardware maintenance.

Most all high performance servers, and basically every server cpu from the last several years are made for virtualization; unless you are talking GIANT oracle db's (already into million dollar licenses) you dont need anything crazy.

as an aside, it is a waste of money to use xeons for gaming, unless you are using multiple sockets (though price can be crazy in different regions)

gondor

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
"... they use poor quality hardware (Seagate drives and not WD, for instance ..."

WD *is* the poor quality alternative to Seagate, which is precisely why WD drives are used almost exclusively in low-cost consumer products.

1991ATServerTower

Distinguished
May 6, 2013

Both of them are the poor quality alternative to Samsung and Hitachi, but sadly any Samsung or Hitachi branded drives we can buy now are simply rebranded Seagate or Western Digital drives.

Sadly, no one makes ultra reliable drives any more, because we let two drive companies buy up all the competition and Toshiba's quality has gone down hill. Indeed, Fujitsu and Maxtor had high failure rates, but Quantum made some really good drives and was willing to think outside of the box with their "Bigfoot" 5.25" drives. More players in the market was good for consumers.

The really sad part is that competition from SSD has made SG/WD make their hard drives cheaper rather than better. Why? Because they can - what else are we going to buy?

I had a Hitachi Deskstar for 5 years that worked great the day I gave it away. I have a 12 year old Maxtor that still runs great and a 14 year old SCSI drive that is a rock. The Seagate I replaced the Deskstar with died within 2 years. A WD drive I had died within 3 years. I guess hard drives are disposable devices now that need to be replaced every 2 years. That's progress!

nostriluu

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2013
32GB is a very small upper memory limit for the Xeon line in 2013. 192GB would be more reasonable for a low end xeon. Lots of applications would significantly benefit.

iamtheking123

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010

Intel works on a principle similar to cable TV and cars. Sell "packages" where you might have to pay for 5 features you don't want to get the 1 feature you do. I think the high end Xeons support TB of memory in a multi-socket configuration.

Status
Not open for further replies.