Have a GTX 1080 but can’t get all the performance out of it!

Aug 29, 2018
Hello I recently built my new gaming pc. Specs: ryzen 7 1700, Evga GTX 1080 sc 8gb, Gskill 3200 16gb Ram. 128gb ssd for boot, 2tb HDD for games, asus b350 m plus Motherboard and a Corsair h100iv2 aio. My GPU and cpu haven’t been over clocked so the cpu sits at 3.6gz and the GPU sits at 1750ghz and has a boost clock up to 1900ghz. During gaming my temps for my cpu sits at 41 Celsius And never goes over 43 and my GPU never goes over 55 Celsius. NOW MY PROBLEM: I have a 1080p Samsung 144hz Monitor and I bought this experience pc because I wanted to pull a full 144 FPS on games in high or ultra settings but I can’t! When playing fortnite I get no more then 120fps when on ground. This causes visual tearing because my monitor is 144hz and that’s on high and some medium settings. Some other games also struggle to hit that 144fps like battlefield 1 and call of duty. No I have tried v sync off and on but doesn’t help. I need some help because I spent a lot of money on this system and nothing is working the way I expected. I mean I see videos of GTX 1070 ‘‘tis playing fortnite on ultra at 150fps. Should I over clock my GPU and cpu?

You will NEVER ave 144 FPS at max settings at 1080P with at or any AMD CPU in that game currently.

An 8700K however will do it easy with a GTX 1080.

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcwNnHCS58A&t=17s"][/video]

Your CPU is holding it back.

That is the bottom line.

Just looked a a bunch of tests, and they are all about the same.

Aug 29, 2018
Dude get off this feed your just an intel fan boy that inst helping. I have buddy’s running ryzen 7 cpus and getting over 150 FPS. I need someone on here who actually knows what they’re talking about

Yeah.... OK...

Live in your fantasy world.

Yeah IPC and clock speed is everything at 1080P gaming.

Not so much at 4K though, the GPU takes over.

Yeah do that with an 8700K and it would be close to 200 FPS with a GTX 1080Ti.

Those Ryzen's just aren't as powerful as the current I7's.

Overclocking the 1700 to like 4.0 GHz and he would also get close to the 144 FPS^^

With a GTX 1080Ti?

Or GTX 1080?

Both of it.
The Benchmark does show that the CPUs are holding back the GPU.
And in this case i do asume it is the same with his 1080.
He said he is currently playing at 120fps with 3,6Ghz and i think that going up to 4Ghz maybe 4,1 Ghz would be enought to reach close to 144 fps.
He still has to tweak his settings a little bit but i mean... who plays a first person shooter or an Esport Game in generall for the "nice looks" of the game?!
I am playing Fortnite with low to Medium settings so i will never ever drop below 60 fps, i dont care about the graphics in this game at all. But in other Games like DeusEx: Mankind Divided i want sexy gameplay and i dont care about fps drops to like 30.

Amd has done something really great with their Ryzen Lineup and the IPC of these chips are similar to Intel even a little bit better in some cases, but these Chips arent able to clock high enought to really match that singlecore performance. He either has to overclock the CPU or buy a 2700X with nearly 4,3 Ghz@ stock.

I don't play that game so I really don't know.

Here is a 2700X OCed to 4.1 GHz here, still well under 144 FPS ave.

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5TvLpMACdc&t=82s"][/video]

xxlikenxx

Commendable
Nov 2, 2016
hi there...so I have this same problem but my specs are
Asus z170 pro
i7 6700K
16 gb ram 2400 MHZ
Nvidia GTX 1080 FE (got it refurb)
coolermaster 650M - PSU

i'm barely able to reach 100FPS on games like division and Apex Legends. On games like monster hunter world, elder scrolls online and destiny 2 i'm not even able to reach 100 FPS
please advice?