Have an AC router and N access point all on same SSID, looking for better ways to configure

May 9, 2018
In the upstairs of my house I have an ARRIS SURFboard SBG6700-AC modem router combo. This is hardwired to a TP-Link TL-WA801ND. They are all set up to the same SSID, including both channels from the router. After some unsatisfactory speeds, I have come to realize that combining an N and AC router/access point might not be the best idea. What would be the best way to set up the channels on the router and connect to the access point. We have a wide variety of electronics from phones to laptops to an XBOX.

Solution
You have the best implementation with a wired ethernet connection between the devices. You want the two devices configured for 20Mhz bandwidth in the 2.4Ghz band and on unique channels (1, 6, 11). That TP-Link is not a dual band access point. You won't get 5Ghz connection from it.

kanewolf

Titan
You have the best implementation with a wired ethernet connection between the devices. You want the two devices configured for 20Mhz bandwidth in the 2.4Ghz band and on unique channels (1, 6, 11). That TP-Link is not a dual band access point. You won't get 5Ghz connection from it.

Solution