Have I been stricken by Vista after 2 yrs???

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
Sometimes, my system doesn't load to the desktop. After the post screen, the screen goes to a black screen, and seems like it doesn't go to desktop screen. I once waited 20 minutes and nothing. If I pressed the reset button on my case, my system reloads and yes, goes to the desktop. Any ideas?

This sounds like either a hard-drive issue or a corrupt user profile. Run a full disk check, there should be a utility either from the BIOS or you can download one from the PC vendor. You can also try a to create a new user account and see if that fixes things. You'd have to copy your files over to that account afterwards though, but I don't suggest you copy the whole profile over as whatever was corrupt will just copy over to the new profile.

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006

If I do a reinstallation of the OS, would this clear up the issue?

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006

I ran the diagnostics available in Vista (control panel) and everything passed. By the way, do you know, when you do a clean install of the OS, where does it exactly ask you or where is the tab that allows you load the chipset (that has AHCI, JMICRON etc) drivers.