[SOLVED] have to restart my PC for SSD to run at advertised speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrono_1

Reputable
Aug 17, 2016
When I turn my computer on from the powered off state the M2 SSD speeds are slower than advertised. But if I reboot my computer the speeds are normal.

What I have tried:

• Updated to the newest BIOS version
  • Tried on different operating systems (windows 10 and linux, same issue)
  • Downloaded the SSD software to see if it has the latest firmware (which it does)
  • Went into the BIOS and tried turning off SATA controllers (don't have any sata devices)
  • Went into the BIOS and tried setting the M2 slot to work in PCIE 3.0 and recognize the M2 as PCIE only
  • Reseated PSU and M2 SSD
  • Turned off PSU

Still nothing. But if I just restart the computer and run crystaldiskmark, I get regular speeds which is 3200 mb/s read and 2600 mb/s write. Otherwise I get ~800 mb/s read and ~800 mb/s write when I turn my computer on the first thing in the day.

My system specs:

CPU: Intel i3 -10320

Motherboard: Asus Prime B560M-A

RAM: Corsair 16GB DDR4 2400 MHZ

SSD: Western Digital Black SN750 500GB

PSU: be quiet! System Power U9 400 W

Solution
I have faced the same issue with my SN550 500GB Nvme SSD. The issue is that during the first boot the applications that are allowed to start during startup stresses out the Nvme controller and one more thing is that the SSD needs to be at temperature similar to surrounding. Linus also explained the issue with low speeds of Nvme SSD when booted at temperature lower than surroundings. Since in Nvme drives, data is transferred in form of electron moving with high velocities. Temperature does effect your SSD performence. The performence should automatically increase after a restart after first boot. Or I would suggest you to open bios and disable fast boot or stay in bios for 20-40s to let the SSD heat up and stabilize and then enter into...

Ralston18

Titan
Do I correctly understand, that on first boot and running CrystalDiskMark, full R/W speeds are immediately measured?

Or is it that on first boot CrystalDiskMark run measures slow R/W's and on the second, subsequent boot the CrysdtalDiskMark run measures fast R/W's.

= = = =

About the only common thing I can think of between Windows and Linux is the temperature.

If, after the first boot and slow performance, what happens if you allow some X amount of time and then try the second boot?

In other words the first boot warms up the computer and the second boot, with the M2 drive (or whatever ??) now warmed up, results in the system bring able to run at the regular speeds.

Try to establish or otherwise determine how much time you can get between the original first boot with slow R/W and the second boot with fast R/W.

At exceeding time X, does the second boot result in slow R/Ws?

Could be that 400 watt PSU that needs warming up in order to provide proper voltages and wattage.

Chrono_1

Reputable
Aug 17, 2016
Do I correctly understand, that on first boot and running CrystalDiskMark, full R/W speeds are immediately measured?

Or is it that on first boot CrystalDiskMark run measures slow R/W's and on the second, subsequent boot the CrysdtalDiskMark run measures fast R/W's.

= = = =

About the only common thing I can think of between Windows and Linux is the temperature.

If, after the first boot and slow performance, what happens if you allow some X amount of time and then try the second boot?

In other words the first boot warms up the computer and the second boot, with the M2 drive (or whatever ??) now warmed up, results in the system bring able to run at the regular speeds.

Try to establish or otherwise determine how much time you can get between the original first boot with slow R/W and the second boot with fast R/W.

At exceeding time X, does the second boot result in slow R/Ws?

Could be that 400 watt PSU that needs warming up in order to provide proper voltages and wattage.
when boot from a powered off state it is slow r/w speed and when restarted (not turned off again) it is fast. No matter how long I turn it off for and turn back on, the first boot is always slow r/w speeds. I have to basically restart my pc after turning it on to get the advertised m2 ssd speeds.

I tried something were I set the m2 lane to run at pcie 1.0 in bios and after restarting I realized the speeds were the same as the slow speeds (I always have it set it auto or 3.0 and after restarting I would get the advertised r/w speeds), but the western digital ssd software says it’s running at pcie 3.0 4 lanes. I don’t know if it’s my cpu and motherboard combo (b560m motherboard with a 10th gen cpu) or if it’s my PSU as you say.

SoumithCS

Reputable
Oct 6, 2020
I have faced the same issue with my SN550 500GB Nvme SSD. The issue is that during the first boot the applications that are allowed to start during startup stresses out the Nvme controller and one more thing is that the SSD needs to be at temperature similar to surrounding. Linus also explained the issue with low speeds of Nvme SSD when booted at temperature lower than surroundings. Since in Nvme drives, data is transferred in form of electron moving with high velocities. Temperature does effect your SSD performence. The performence should automatically increase after a restart after first boot. Or I would suggest you to open bios and disable fast boot or stay in bios for 20-40s to let the SSD heat up and stabilize and then enter into windows.

Reactions: Chrono_1
Solution

Chrono_1

Reputable
Aug 17, 2016
I have faced the same issue with my SN550 500GB Nvme SSD. The issue is that during the first boot the applications that are allowed to start during startup stresses out the Nvme controller and one more thing is that the SSD needs to be at temperature similar to surrounding. Linus also explained the issue with low speeds of Nvme SSD when booted at temperature lower than surroundings. Since in Nvme drives, data is transferred in form of electron moving with high velocities. Temperature does effect your SSD performence. The performence should automatically increase after a restart after first boot. Or I would suggest you to open bios and disable fast boot or stay in bios for 20-40s to let the SSD heat up and stabilize and then enter into windows.
well that solved it.. sadly disabling fast boot and increasing post time didn’t change anything. But staying in the bios when booting is what makes it run at normal speed.

After going through 100+ threads of people having similar problems, can’t believe know one else brought this up

Reactions: SoumithCS
Status
Not open for further replies.