Question Have to unplug-plug gpu everytime? gpu harware or gpu driver?

Jun 26, 2024
Component of issue: Gigabyte 3080 TI Gaming OC

SPECS:
Gigabyte 3080 TI Gaming OC
Ryzen 9 7950X
GIGABYTE - B650 AORUS ELITE AX & GIGABYTE - B650 AORUS ELITE AX & ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-E GAMING WIFI 6E Socket AM5
CORSAIR - VENGEANCE 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5 5200MHz
CORSAIR - iCUE H150i RGB PRO XT Liquid CPU Cooler
Samsung - 980 PRO Heatsink 2TB Internal SSD PCIe Gen 4 x4 NVMe Bootdrive
EVGA - GP Series SuperNOVA 1000W ATX 80 Plus Gold
Windows 11 Home

Tested other gpus: EVGA GTX 1060, GTX 1080 FE, ASUS TUF RTX 4090 OC (All booted fine, no issues)
Tested all these gpus on all 3 motherboards listed in SPECS
Tested all on SAMSUNG 49in ULTRAWIDE, 27in ASUS 144hz, generic 22in Dell monitor
Used all ports on 3080 ti, display port and HDMI, used multiple cables for each type

DESCPRIPTION:
When i turn on my pc, the gpu will ALWAYS light up and spin up but does not get recognized by monitor, even if you unplug monitor cable and plug in. If you plug into motherboard then monitor activates.

To get gpu to work i have to unplug from motherboard, and plug in. I then boot again and it sometimes gets recognized (50% of time), if it doesn't i force shut off via front IO panel, and retry. Im worried about how much i am force shutting off and also I am getting in the habit of leaving pc on so i dont have to do this.

At first I thought it was motherboard issue which is why Ive listed 3 motherboards (2 of which were the same model), but after that, and testing with many other gpus, its obvious to me that its gpu issue, but its so weird I dont know what to do.

P.S. Its still under warranty if you guys think this is some type of manufacturing fault but I am very worried about doing this since it technically does work. Im afraid theyd look at it and say " yeah this works, no RMA"

Hey there,

Yeah, I think you've already hit the nail on the head. The GPU seems it's the common denominator.

Is the GPU a new buy? If so, RMA it, and get a replacement.

Just in case though, what bios are you running on the mobo the GPU is currently in? If the bios on the mobos are outdated, then I'd consider updating them to be sure that's not the issue. There have been some problems with certain board partners (MSI, Gigbyte) and the 3080 series. It's worth doing that first before RMA.

Reactions: Fiirefly
Jun 26, 2024
Hey there,

Yeah, I think you've already hit the nail on the head. The GPU seems it's the common denominator.

Is the GPU a new buy? If so, RMA it, and get a replacement.

Just in case though, what bios are you running on the mobo the GPU is currently in? If the bios on the mobos are outdated, then I'd consider updating them to be sure that's not the issue. There have been some problems with certain board partners (MSI, Gigbyte) and the 3080 series. It's worth doing that first before RMA.

GPU is not new, its right at 2 years old, Gigabyte has 3 year parts/labor warranty., so I believe I could get it RMA'd. How good is gigabytes support? refer to my P.S. about my worries on RMA.

I honestly never look at bios, on either mobo or gpu. Good to hear that something like that could be the issue. Thanks for the suggestion.

Yes, on the RMA, thats very possible. Specially if other GPU's work as intended.

That's a bummer you can't RMA the GPU. Have you another system to test it with? Perhaps bring GPU to local repair store and get them to test it. It would only cost about 20£$€ or so. If it runs there, it might point back to the mobo.

Yes, worthwhile doing the bios first. I'd update the vbios (on GPU) as a last resort as that can lead to bricking the GPU altogether if not done correctly.

At first I thought it was motherboard issue which is why Ive listed 3 motherboards (2 of which were the same model), but after that, and testing with many other gpus, its obvious to me that its gpu issue, but its so weird I dont know what to do.
My brain is a little slow right now. So just to understand the same result happens on each motherboard with that 3080ti ?

I have a hunch can you lay the computer on it's side where the GPU does not have to deal with it's sag weight .

See if it boots?

Jun 26, 2024
My brain is a little slow right now. So just to understand the same result happens on each motherboard with that 3080ti ?

I have a hunch can you lay the computer on it's side where the GPU does not have to deal with it's sag weight .

See if it boots?
Sorry I was not clear, the issue was the same with each motherboard, only with the 3080ti.

Unfortunately, ever since the issue arose, I turned the pc on it's side. So since January it has been on its side, additionally every test i did (new mobos and gpus) it was laying on its side. I thought i had worn down the pci-e slot due the large gpu sag issues that started with 30 series. but replacing mobo did not fix.

Sorry I was not clear, the issue was the same with each motherboard, only with the 3080ti.

Unfortunately, ever since the issue arose, I turned the pc on it's side. So since January it has been on its side, additionally every test i did (new mobos and gpus) it was laying on its side. I thought i had worn down the pci-e slot due the large gpu sag issues that started with 30 series. but replacing mobo did not fix.
Okay so that can be ruled out. Bad card like Roland Of Gilead suggested.