[SOLVED] Have windows 10 on a harddrive, can I move this to a new m.2 ssd?

Dec 12, 2019
Looking into getting a m.2 SSD. I do not want to have a big fuss with getting all my stuff on to that drive, I would like to just move the stuff I want to load on that.

Solution
Im running Windows 10 and getting a m.2 1tb and my HDD is also 1tb plenty of space left also
W10 has all elementary drivers for M.2 and NVMe so you should be able to just clone whole disk. Only precondition is to have windows installed in UEFI mode. May need to enter BIOS/UEFI and change disk BOOT priority after finishing cloning process.
Dec 12, 2019
Yes you can, most usual way is to clone old drive to new but old one can't contain more data than capacity of new one.
Also need to know which OS ? and size and partitioning scheme of the old drive.
Im running Windows 10 and getting a m.2 1tb and my HDD is also 1tb plenty of space left also

misterdavidjoe

Prominent
Nov 3, 2018
I would also like to do this. I have done a lot of research as to what I have to do in order to make this happen. Maybe I should start a new question but this one is essentially what I want to do.

My first problem: The total used space on my HDD exceeds the total space on my 240GB SSD (unused, formatted for OS)

1st Q: Is there a simple way to move non-system files from the C:/ drive partition, on a 2TB HDD to another partition on the same HDD so that windows is unaffected?

After I do this I'd like to migrate Windows to the 240GB SSD.

My second problem: I have cloned my old 1TB HDD to the new 2TB HDD. I thought everything went fine, I booted from the new clone multiple times with no problem (the clone does seem a little slower not sure why). My problem arises because now when I try to use the old 1TB HDD to boot (fairly sure I'm changing the bios settings correctly for boot, not entirely sure, but I haven't changed any settings in windows. I'm told, I think, that you have to make sure the drive you want to boot from is "active".) Now I am scared.

2nd Q: If the old genuine copy of Windows wont boot from the old drive, will migrating the cloned Windows from the 2TB drive to the 240GB SSD cause the 2TB HDD to not be able to boot anymore?

Further info: My windows started as 7 or vista...? I upgraded, skipping 8, and now have windows 10 64x, pretty sure. The 1TB HDD is from my old deskop; every part in the new desktop is different. I can provide Specs and screenshots to the best of my abilities.

P.S. if anyone knows what I did to the 1TB HDD to make it no longer to be able to boot I'd love to know!

USAFRet

Titan
I would also like to do this. I have done a lot of research as to what I have to do in order to make this happen. Maybe I should start a new question but this one is essentially what I want to do.

My first problem: The total used space on my HDD exceeds the total space on my 240GB SSD (unused, formatted for OS)

1st Q: Is there a simple way to move non-system files from the C:/ drive partition, on a 2TB HDD to another partition on the same HDD so that windows is unaffected?

After I do this I'd like to migrate Windows to the 240GB SSD.

My second problem: I have cloned my old 1TB HDD to the new 2TB HDD. I thought everything went fine, I booted from the new clone multiple times with no problem (the clone does seem a little slower not sure why). My problem arises because now when I try to use the old 1TB HDD to boot (fairly sure I'm changing the bios settings correctly for boot, not entirely sure, but I haven't changed any settings in windows. I'm told, I think, that you have to make sure the drive you want to boot from is "active".) Now I am scared.

2nd Q: If the old genuine copy of Windows wont boot from the old drive, will migrating the cloned Windows from the 2TB drive to the 240GB SSD cause the 2TB HDD to not be able to boot anymore?

Further info: My windows started as 7 or vista...? I upgraded, skipping 8, and now have windows 10 64x, pretty sure. The 1TB HDD is from my old deskop; every part in the new desktop is different. I can provide Specs and screenshots to the best of my abilities.

P.S. if anyone knows what I did to the 1TB HDD to make it no longer to be able to boot I'd love to know!
Yes, please start a new thread for your particular situation.

But this:
"The total used space on my HDD exceeds the total space on my 240GB SSD (unused, formatted for OS)"
...does not bode well for a cloning oiperation.

TRENDING THREADS