Having backup operating stems

skunkwrks

Honorable
Feb 6, 2014
So i had an issue where my computer did not display windows, in fact i was getting a no BOOTMGR display and the BIOS was not seeing my internal HD, finally it worked and it came on but how would one go about installing having 2 HD that are mirrored so if one fails the other is here to take over.

Solution
If a RAID 1 array loses one of the drives, it will still work, but should inform you that a drive has failed/could not be found.

If you have an external disk big enough, you could make an image of your existing installation and restore it to the array.

jakjawagon

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2010
What you're looking for is called RAID 1. If your motherboard supports it, you may be able to enable it in the BIOS. If not, you'd have to get a RAID card, and those tend to be expensive.
Make sure you have a backup first though. I've set up a RAID 1 system before with the drives in the wrong order, so it copied the blank disk over the top of my existing install.

jakjawagon

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2010
If a RAID 1 array loses one of the drives, it will still work, but should inform you that a drive has failed/could not be found.

If you have an external disk big enough, you could make an image of your existing installation and restore it to the array.

Solution