Question Having graphical issues but don't seem to be GPU related

Jun 28, 2024
Hi, have been having issues recently to the point games are unplayable, even old ones and even drop down menus in firefox or steam library are starting to tear. Have a 4070ti and 144hz monitor. Have updated driver, gone through every combination of vsync and refresh rates. Have changed monitors, different cables and happens on both screens. Have swapped out GPU and tried different slot no the motherboard and still the same issues

Have also tried taking out one stick of RAM and trying them one at a time and no difference. Reformatted HDD too. Only thing I'm not really able to test is mobo (MSI x570 tomahawk) or cpu (Ryzen 7 5800X)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytIgRPlEq-I

View: https://youtu.be/HS82zbChQQM

View: https://imgur.com/a/8mhgEyp

boju

Titan
Ambassador
That seems to me like graphical glitches / artifacts rather than tearing.

I suggest downloading DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) and run the program in safe mode and uninstall graphics driver. It's easy to use. Then install the latest Geforce driver again.

If this problem still happens try a different / older Geforce driver via the manual driver search option on their site.

Jun 28, 2024
That seems to me like graphical glitches / artifacts rather than tearing.

I suggest downloading DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) and run the program in safe mode and uninstall graphics driver. It's easy to use. Then install the latest Geforce driver again.

If this problem still happens try a different / older Geforce driver via the manual driver search option on their site.
Thanks.
Tried both but no luck. If anything was worse with no driver and now older one - getting it on webpages now too when I wasn't before

Jun 28, 2024
Tried this already and didn't fix. Have used two different cards 1080ti and 4070ti and same issues with both. Have tried different mobo slot as well

850W corsair PSU

Jun 28, 2024
Corsair HX850 PSU, not exactly sure how old though couldn't find the email receipt - maybe 6 years or so? Last big upgrade was 3 years ago but don't think I replaced it then.

Using two pcie8 - the 4070 has an adapter for 16pin, and the 1080 just straight in. Tried using different pcie cables too

Even though the 1080 Ti is already a PCIe 3.0 device have you tried manually setting the motherboard to run PCIe 3.0?

Seems like you've done a pretty thorough job of troubleshooting already so beyond that motherboard/power supply are really all that's left that I can think of.

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
Check for malware. Any unusual processes going on? Maybe a cryptominer is hogging resources.

Are there a lot of HDD/SSD writes or reads? Is memory use abnormal?

Inspect with Task Manager. If you don't have any anti-malware i recommend Malwarebytes version 3.8.3 because newer ones are a b*** to uninstall.

It's unlikely to be the PSU, but you could test with a spare. I don't think it is because web browsing should not strain the GPU enough for power delivery problems. And you've tried two...

Does the problem occur anytime? Or does it take some time after a restart?
Has this been going on for a long time? Getting worse?

Jun 28, 2024
Check for malware. Any unusual processes going on? Maybe a cryptominer is hogging resources.

Are there a lot of HDD/SSD writes or reads? Is memory use abnormal?

Inspect with Task Manager. If you don't have any anti-malware i recommend Malwarebytes version 3.8.3 because newer ones are a b*** to uninstall.

It's unlikely to be the PSU, but you could test with a spare. I don't think it is because web browsing should not strain the GPU enough for power delivery problems. And you've tried two...

Does the problem occur anytime? Or does it take some time after a restart?
Has this been going on for a long time? Getting worse?
I thought of malware too...Have bitdefender and haven't picked up anything. Did a fresh windows install on main drive and tried unplugging my other drives so think that's unlikely. Nothing abnormal on task manager and ssd is like constantly at 0% usage. Will still checkout malwarebytes though.

Don't have a spare psu unfortunately, have used all the spare pieces I have but nothing changed.

It happens immediately after restart.

I noticed some issues with one or two games a while ago - started up fallout 4 for the first time in years and it was really jumpy but put that down to the game cause everything else was fine. I noticed some flickering on LoL near the shop but the rest of the game was fine.

Once I started noticing flickering and glitches in the steam library most games got worse. Then it started happening in browsers and everything is completely unplayable.

So I guess gradually, there was a few oddities over a two week period (I wasn't using PC much cause of work) to getting worse each day over the last 4-5 days

Jun 28, 2024
Cooling generally pretty good and haven't been stressing it lately. GPU sitting at 40c and CPU 45c. Opening side panel dropped a couple degrees but nothing significant

sitehostplus

Honorable
Jan 6, 2018
To know for sure if you have a virus or no, I would get a clean machine and use that to download what is called a 'rescue disk' to either cd-rom or thumb drive. Then boot off of that onto the suspected machine and check that way.

More than likely culprit is the power supply. Try a new one and see what happens.

Jun 28, 2024
Thanks for all your help, time, and suggestions.

Was able to try a new power supply today and picked up some cheap ram. Neither worked. Got a spare hard drive as well with clean windows install - removed all my drives and just had that one in and same issue. Did notice that browser wasn't having issues but steam app and games were just as bad as usual.

Guessing that means I just need to replace cpu/mobo cause that's all I haven't tried yet and it's pretty much a whole new system at that point

Reactions: 35below0
Sep 11, 2020
Looks good enough. Nothing that you should worry about there. It's really hard to know exactly what causes this right now since you've tried most things. Could you try connecting your pc to a different outlet to test? See if that fixes or eliminate this issue. If you've already done that i'm kind of out of ideas. If you have a repair shop close by i'd suggest checking with them even though you might have to pay a decent amount of money for a simple fix. That's the scary part.

Reactions: 35below0