Having issues installing Windows 10 TP on my laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fortitude

Reputable
Jun 19, 2014
Having trouble installing Windows 10 TP on my HP Pavilion Sleekbook 15, which came with Windows 8.

Had no issues installing it with the same drive on my HP Omni100 all in one, in a dual boot with windows 7.

On myy laptop when I try to boot from the USB(Which works fine on my all in one) it says Error booting operating system. Is there a cause for this? a solution? Any and all help is very much appreciated!

Also, I'm not trying to boot the full OS from the flash drive, but the installer.

Solution
For users who have disks formatted with a partitioning scheme that is unsupported by their firmware, such as a GPT disk on a BIOS system or an MBR disk on a UEFI system, one alternative is to use Boot to VHD. With Boot to VHD you can create a properly partitioned virtual disk on the improperly partitioned storage device and boot to the virtual disk. See Enable Boot to VHD with BIOS and GPT for a walkthrough of enabling this configuration.
Does it come with a more specific error? If you have a disk burn the ISO to the disk instead, or try reburning it to the USB. I had the exact same problem with the tech preview, it would not work so I reburnt a newly downloaded one and it worked. It was a pain to do again but fixed it.

Fortitude

Reputable
Jun 19, 2014

I didn't burn the ISO, I just copied the installer files. Like I said, it worked before, so I don't see the issue now...

Fortitude

Reputable
Jun 19, 2014

I've gotten the laptop to boot the installer now, but now when I select the partition to install, it says "windows cannot be installed on this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style." Can't find a fix anywhere, so will reformatting the entire hard drive and installing just win10 work?

WinOutreach2

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
For users who have disks formatted with a partitioning scheme that is unsupported by their firmware, such as a GPT disk on a BIOS system or an MBR disk on a UEFI system, one alternative is to use Boot to VHD. With Boot to VHD you can create a properly partitioned virtual disk on the improperly partitioned storage device and boot to the virtual disk. See Enable Boot to VHD with BIOS and GPT for a walkthrough of enabling this configuration.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.