Having issues with file permissions.

FriboRage

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2016
I just got my new build booted up for the first time on a fresh install of windows10.

I have an SSD for my boot drive, and two HDD's also connected that I brought over from my old PC that have all my stuff on them.

Im having some issues, though. For example as I try to open this directory:

D:\Users\FriboRage to get into my old User file, I get a message that I do not have permission to access it. Im the administrator profile, how can I not have permission??

So I did Right Click > Properties > Security Tab > Advanced ... manually added in my account name, and set it to full control. It worked as far as I can tell.

But I have another drive with the same issue that's having a worse time. I was able to get myself access into F:\Users\Friborage, but now each individual folder, and a lot of the files like pictures and videos are denying access. So once again I tried to give myself full control on everything but I get this:

An error occurred while applying security information to:

D:\Program Files (just one example, it did about a dozen different folders/files this way)

Failed to enumerate objects in the container. Access is denied.

I never ran into this before, any idea what's happening?

Solution
I have always created my own folders for documents and pointed the libraries at it, I never used the User folders as windows thinks it owns them. If the old drives used to have windows on them (judging from your description they did) then win 10 recognises them for what they are and knows you aren't the owner of them even if your user name is the same.

I had similar in Feb when I reinstalled win 10 and the new install inherited my old 2tb storage drive and I had to take ownership of all the folders. Its possible still some I missed but I obviously don't need them.

one thing that might help is set up a homegroup as I had lots of troubles with permissions last year and creating one of those fixed it.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I have always created my own folders for documents and pointed the libraries at it, I never used the User folders as windows thinks it owns them. If the old drives used to have windows on them (judging from your description they did) then win 10 recognises them for what they are and knows you aren't the owner of them even if your user name is the same.

I had similar in Feb when I reinstalled win 10 and the new install inherited my old 2tb storage drive and I had to take ownership of all the folders. Its possible still some I missed but I obviously don't need them.

one thing that might help is set up a homegroup as I had lots of troubles with permissions last year and creating one of those fixed it.

Solution