Question Having Issues with IdeaPad Flex 5 15ITL05 82HT

arboy2

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2012
Hey guys, I'm having issues with an IdeaPad Flex 5 laptop and need your help :)

TL;DR:
1. Having some sort of driver issue that makes the screen have a bunch of artifacts and unusable.
20230914-234443.jpg

2. After BIOS update the device won't even boot anymore (laptop is on, screen is black)

A little history:
A month ago the laptop's screen started having issues and a week ago I replaced it and all was fine (the screen had an issue like this before but it was fixed with warranty).

Yesterday the laptop underwent a Windows 11 update and afterwards the video signal was having a bunch of artifacts.
The artifacts were only showing on the laptop screen, when connecting to an external display (duplicated) the video looked fine.
I tried deleting the graphics drivers and it worked fine for a few second after reboot.
Also anything other than windows showed up fine (booting screen, BIOS).

I decided to reinstall Windows and the screen worked flawlessly for about 30 minutes before it reverted to the distorted image.

Because I reinstalled Windows I started downloading all drivers from the lenovo website for this laptop and installing them one by one hoping one of them would solve this issue.

I updated the device BIOS from the lenovo website and now the laptop won't even boot anymore.

I would appreciate any help fixing these issues to get this laptop working again :)

Lutfij

Titan
Yesterday the laptop underwent a Windows 11 update and afterwards the video signal was having a bunch of artifacts.
If the OS wasn't Windows 11 and you were upgraded to it, you should reinstall the OS with Windows 11 after creating a bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools. Helps root out any underlying issues with the OS.

The artifacts were only showing on the laptop screen, when connecting to an external display (duplicated) the video looked fine.
This would indicate an issue with the laptop's panel, not the discrete GPU...if your laptop has a discrete GPU on the motherboard.

Your laptop has an emergency rest hole, located at the bottom of your laptop. You will need a needle or a pin in order to access it. Press and hold that button for 30 seconds. Once done, you might be able to power up the laptop after that procedure.

arboy2

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2012
If the OS wasn't Windows 11 and you were upgraded to it, you should reinstall the OS with Windows 11 after creating a bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools. Helps root out any underlying issues with the OS.
Yeah, I did that but as I said after about 30 minutes the screen started having this issue once more.

This would indicate an issue with the laptop's panel, not the discrete GPU...if your laptop has a discrete GPU on the motherboard.
Yeah that's what I thought aswell but why does it only show it when windows is on (even the windows installation didn't have any artifacts)

Your laptop has an emergency rest hole, located at the bottom of your laptop. You will need a needle or a pin in order to access it. Press and hold that button for 30 seconds. Once done, you might be able to power up the laptop after that procedure.
It seems you were looking at the wrong Flex 5, mine has a reset button on the left side of the laptop, I tried holding it for 30 seconds multiple times but it didn't help.

Thank you so much for the reply!