Question Having issues with port forwarding

May 18, 2022
So im gonna get straight to the point , i cant port forward some ports for my nintendo switch most likely due to the way my routers are set up or due to my ISP. My setup is : Internet > ISP modem > ISP Router (zyxel vmg8623-t50b) > Second Router (Tenda AC10U connected from the lan port of the ISP router to the wan port of the ac10u). I have tried many things to try and solve this from setting a static IP on my switch and connecting first to my ISP router when i have already forwarded the ports (same goes with the other router) , to doing the same thing but putting the switch in DMZ (it doesnt seem to work on my Tenda AC10U) , to even port forwarding the ports from my ISP Router to the WAN IP my ISP router is giving my AC10U and then forwarding the ports from there. Im considering contacting my ISP cause im most likely behind cgnat (cause i have a strict nat that only happens on my switch and nowhere else) or they are blocking the ports but i dont know how exactly to tell them that (in case i need to contact my ISP what should i tell him ?)

Lastly, the reason i have second router is because the wifi range of the ISP router is bad and so i need to port forward on that router but the Tenda AC10U only has virtual server which means i cant set up a range of ports (correct me if im wrong) and i only have the ip adrees LAN port (usually 21,80 etc), WAN port and the protocols (TCP,UDP) . As for my ISP router i can set a range of ports but i cant set them up from 1-65535 due to an eror i keep getting.

So im gonna get straight to the point , i cant port forward some ports for my nintendo switch most likely due to the way my routers are set up or due to my ISP. My setup is : Internet > ISP modem > ISP Router (zyxel vmg8623-t50b) > Second Router (Tenda AC10U connected from the lan port of the ISP router to the wan port of the ac10u). I have tried many things to try and solve this from setting a static IP on my switch and connecting first to my ISP router when i have already forwarded the ports (same goes with the other router) , to doing the same thing but putting the switch in DMZ (it doesnt seem to work on my Tenda AC10U) , to even port forwarding the ports from my ISP Router to the WAN IP my ISP router is giving my AC10U and then forwarding the ports from there. Im considering contacting my ISP cause im most likely behind cgnat (cause i have a strict nat that only happens on my switch and nowhere else) or they are blocking the ports but i dont know how exactly to tell them that (in case i need to contact my ISP what should i tell him ?)

Lastly, the reason i have second router is because the wifi range of the ISP router is bad and so i need to port forward on that router but the Tenda AC10U only has virtual server which means i cant set up a range of ports (correct me if im wrong) and i only have the ip adrees LAN port (usually 21,80 etc), WAN port and the protocols (TCP,UDP) . As for my ISP router i can set a range of ports but i cant set them up from 1-65535 due to an eror i keep getting.
First question is why do you need to forward ports to your Nintendo Switch? Usually port forwarding is relegated for webpages, servers, etc.. Second is do you know exactly what port/s need to be forwarded?

May 18, 2022
First question is why do you need to forward ports to your Nintendo Switch? Usually port forwarding is relegated for webpages, servers, etc.. Second is do you know exactly what port/s need to be forwarded?
I need to use port forwarding due to my nat type being D meaning my nat type is very strict. Not only that nintendo uses Peer-to-Peer services meaning even if i have a good download speed and upload speed as long as i have nat type problems my issue wont be ressolved. And yes the ports are 1-65535 UDP

Edit: Added the port range

Last edited:
I need to use port forwarding due to my nat type being D meaning my nat type is very strict. Not only that nintendo uses Peer-to-Peer services meaning even if i have a good download speed and upload speed as long as i have nat type problems my issue wont be ressolved. And yes the ports are 1-65535 UDP

Edit: Added the port range
Have you changed your Switch to use NAT A or B? https://www.techsolutions.support.com/how-to/how-to-change-nat-type-on-nintendo-switch-12474

For the port forwarding you will probably have to break up the UDP rules into multiple chunks. However, do not that requiring that many ports to be opened and forwarded is a huge security risk.

May 18, 2022
Have you changed your Switch to use NAT A or B? https://www.techsolutions.support.com/how-to/how-to-change-nat-type-on-nintendo-switch-12474

For the port forwarding you will probably have to break up the UDP rules into multiple chunks. However, do not that requiring that many ports to be opened and forwarded is a huge security risk.
First of all i did once by connecting it to my ISP router but using DMZ but its not consistent plus its not safe.
Also i contacted my ISP and told them that my nat is to strict and cant port forward anything and they told me they will turn my ip into a static

iNVERTEDpLAZMA

Reputable
Apr 22, 2020
If you've got access to the ISP router, you'll have to set up the port forward there, too.
For example:

I'm going to use 208.66.1.100 as an example public IP for you.
Consider this example:

Your ISP Router Public IPYour ISP Router LAN networkYour Personal Router 'WAN' IPYour Personal Router "LAN" network
208.66.1.100192.168.1.1-254192.168.1.100192.168.0.1-254
208.66.1.100 port 123 points to --> 192.168.1.100192.168.1.100 port 123 points to --> 192.168.0.32 or whatever IP your actual INSIDE machine IP has.

Does this make sense?
Do you have access to configure port forwarding on the ISP router?
If you do not, it's fine to configure a DMZ to your PERSONAL router because that thing should have a firewall on it. Just don't DMZ direct to your machine.

May 18, 2022
If you've got access to the ISP router, you'll have to set up the port forward there, too.
For example:

I'm going to use 208.66.1.100 as an example public IP for you.
Consider this example:

Your ISP Router Public IPYour ISP Router LAN networkYour Personal Router 'WAN' IPYour Personal Router "LAN" network
208.66.1.100192.168.1.1-254192.168.1.100192.168.0.1-254
208.66.1.100 port 123 points to --> 192.168.1.100192.168.1.100 port 123 points to --> 192.168.0.32 or whatever IP your actual INSIDE machine IP has.

Does this make sense?
Do you have access to configure port forwarding on the ISP router?
If you do not, it's fine to configure a DMZ to your PERSONAL router because that thing should have a firewall on it. Just don't DMZ direct to your machine.
Thanks for explaining in detail which is one of the many things i also tried. But i contacted my ISP yesterday and they told me that they are gonna turn my privata ip inti a public one and now port forwarding is working and i no longer have any problems. Once again thanks.