having overclock trouble

steedsofwar

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2015
TLDR: Why is the multiplier showing 44 in CPUZ when it shows 46-47 in bios? Seems the overclock isn't being applied.

Okay guys... My old setup suffered water damage to the MITX motherboard, which I've since replaced with a larger MATX ASRock Z97M OC Formula board and a midi case to fit it in. This is due to the lack of availability of good overclocking boards in the z97 chipset at the MITX size here in the UK. I used it as an excuse to factor in a future SLI setup and more RAM.

So my problem is that I'm a noob. It's really a repair of my first build and my first overclock. I am stuck on 4.4ghz under prime95 loads despite setting a higher multiplier in bios at 1.2v. Temps are definitely higher than it should be (maxing out at 80C at high ambient temps) but that's for later. I have watched tonnes of videos online and read tutorials from popular sources, of a confusing variety of z97 boards. I can't figure it out. I have read Tom's review of this board several times too. It was not very flattering for an OC labeled board.

Why is the multiplier showing 44 in CPUZ when it shows 46-47 in bios? Please see what I've changed in BIOS and what CPUZ is showing: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xuna4x9u87gmueh/AADroxm7Zi0sO6n8VgZTW8gWa?dl=0

My system consists of:

Core i7 4790k
16GB Kingston Hyper X 18xx RAM
ASRock Z97M OC Forumula
MSI GTX 980Ti
H100i GTX in push pull exhausting
Two 140mm Phanteks x series intake fans
1 Phanteks 140mm case fan at exhaust
Phanteks enthoo evolve midi gun metal case
Corsair RM650 80+ Gold PSU I believe

Solution
Only use your Bios to OC your system and not from software within Windows.
If you make an incorrect setting ie: Bad OC multiplier ratio, incorrect voltage or bad Primary Timings, the OC would not be accepted and would revert back to default.
Do not make arbitrary changes in Bios without knowing the consequence.
Do not try to go to an unrealistic OC in one hit, rather follow the OC guide and methodology.
Get to know your Bios, there are many vids on youtube that can help. Also specific help is available here if you are having issues.
Hi steedsofwar :) I see you are at default Bios settings.

When your CPU isn't running under load the Frequency will slow down to save power. You need to observe CPUz when the system is under load.As you have no overclock at the moment, your default settings in Bios is why this is happening by using Turbo boost.

Download AIDA64 stress tester and run the CPU test. Another good tool is HWMonitor.

steedsofwar

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2015

Please give me more information. I know lots of people use this and recommend it. I don't know how to use other programmes.

steedsofwar

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2015

Is there any reason why the overclock I set in bios isn't setting in windows? Why does it revert to default?

steedsofwar

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2015
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8gb6xr5hibzzeb2/IMG_20160809_124025.jpg?dl=0

So I booted into Windows and launched ASRock's 'Formula Drive' app. When I set the cpu ratio to 46 here and cpu cache ratio at 45 and BCLK at 100.0mhz, the clock speeds instantly reflect 4.6ghz clock speeds. This is at 1.2v fixed vcore power ( I don't understand adaptive yet, afraid of over volting under p95). When running prime95 v26 small FFT test in guestimated 21'C ambient, my temps soar to 81'C max flat lining on 78'C. All fans cranked to 100%. So:

1. I prefer bios to do the overclock but don't know why it won't set.
IMG_20160809_124025.jpg

2. I need to get those temps lower. Maybe reduce voltage?
3. Or get the multiplier higher at those temps to make it worth it.
4. Learn how to set adaptive so in idle, volts can be dropped.

Only use your Bios to OC your system and not from software within Windows.
If you make an incorrect setting ie: Bad OC multiplier ratio, incorrect voltage or bad Primary Timings, the OC would not be accepted and would revert back to default.
Do not make arbitrary changes in Bios without knowing the consequence.
Do not try to go to an unrealistic OC in one hit, rather follow the OC guide and methodology.
Get to know your Bios, there are many vids on youtube that can help. Also specific help is available here if you are having issues.

Solution

steedsofwar

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2015

Thanks for your support and guidance. I appreciate it. I have been online doing reading and learning for about a month now. Did you see the bios images I uploaded to dropbox? Please advise as to what I got wrong? Plus... Have you seen my post above? I managed to overclock in Windows using a 46 multiplier. It handles the 10 minute small FFT test fine bar the 80'C temps. How do I replicate this in my bios? I can't figure out what I've done wrong.

Prime95 is a harsh synthetic tester and will quickly max your temperatures without adequate cooling.
I don't use it. It does not test your sub systems. ie: GPU or DIMMs.
Download the programs as listed in my previous post.
Clear your CMOS back to default and I will assist you to OC.

Its best to start with default settings at stock frequency then test for stability before OCing.
This is to establish a base line for voltage and temperature readings.
Also Adaptive voltage is better for higher OCs. We will work thru it.
Voltage adjustments are critical for temperature control and not all CPUs are the same. It will depend on the quality of your chip and the IMC for what you can achieve.
I have your MB manual and can assist you but first I want to see results from Stress testing at stock using AIDA64. It is a good tester and please conduct a series of tests, then post the results here for CPU voltages and temperatures under load for 10 mins. Take desk top screen shots at the 10min mark and stop the test if temps reach 80C.

Edit: Please review this video from JaysTwocents: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRB22cx3EWo

steedsofwar

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2015

This is really reassuring. I'm gonna download Aida now. I'm gonna go into BIOS and reset to default. Then follow your tips from there. Thank you.

steedsofwar

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2015

Okay i'm watching the video. That motherboard seems way better than mine. It's a much larger board and has much more robust VRMs. In any case, I've reverted to default bios settings and I've downloaded the trial version of AIDA64 extreme. Let me feedback soon, so bear with me. Thank again for your help.

edit: his 4790k seems top notch

steedsofwar

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2015

That is only fair, MM41 (what region are you based in?). I will have screenshots of the aida64 tests (at stock) ready if I'm up late in the evening as I often am (UK time). MOBO manual is already at the ready.

NP steedsofwar, I am from Australia so we are ahead of London time by 9hrs. I will be here around 9am your time. 6pm my time.

steedsofwar

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2015

Thanks, I'm just getting a few things sorted and I'll post here very shortly.

steedsofwar

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2015

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/50mfi5lyuosimzr/AACW97uCZGhq4cNXbgcAXPl_a?dl=0

Sorry to keep you MM41, I'm a stay at home dad in the mornings keeping kids and I work nights the rest of the time.

Please have a look at the link above to see what I've done with AIDA64 and advise. Much appreciated, bud.

Ok I've reviewed your tests and all is OK at 4.2GHz for temperatures and voltages on all rails.

The methodology behind this method of OCing is to use your multiplier and voltage adjustments without exceeding thermal limits of the CPU. Its a matter of increasing to a desired OC with a required voltage to maintain stability. Each Bios change is stress tested until you get to the WALL so to speak and no matter what you do you can't go through or climb over it to get stability. You then back down your frequency a little or to a previous profile that proved stable, and that is your MAX stable OC. It is safe to try now for an OC of 4.5GHz however beyond that you should creep up slowly in 100MHz steps, rinse and repeat testing till you acquire your MAX OC.

Go to OC Tweaking Screen in Bios.
OC Tweaking>Enabled, Rest in that section to Disabled.
Go to CPU Configuration.
Multi Core Enhancement>Enabled
CPU ratio>45 x 100 = 4.5GHz
CPU Cache Ratio= 45
BCLK Frequency=100
Spread Spectrum> Disabled
CPU OC Fixed Mode>Fixed
Intel SpeedStep Technology>disable
Leave the rest on Auto.
Set your Vcore voltage to 1.250V.
You probably will have to use the + or - keys to enter values in Bios fields.

If its unstable during stability test then increase Vcore to 1.300V.

LLC (Load Line Calibration) plays a part in maintaining voltage stability. Try level 8. Not sure with your Bios as my Bios is in % and from Normal to High to Ultra high and to Extreme.
Save a profile at 1st stable frequency tested in case things go belly up. And save a profile after each successful test. You have up to eight.

OK now test for stability and post the results.
Keep an eye on your temperatures and stress both CPU and FPU in AIDA64. If OK and temps around 65-70C then try for 4.6GHZ with Vcore to 1.3V.

steedsofwar

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2015

I didn't enable FPU in AIDA64.

1. Shall I run a ten minute test on that at default stock settings and post here before proceeding to your tweak guide above or just go into bios now and try your 4.5ghz OC and test?

2. "Go to OC Tweaking Screen in Bios.
OC Tweaking>Enabled, Rest in that section to Disabled". If the settings are at auto by default, shall I set to disabled for each option?

3. "Set your Vcore voltage to 1.250V.
You probably will have to use the + or - keys to enter values in Bios fields". I know I can manually set the Vcore voltage to 1.250v as long as I select manual 'override' as the first option in that section. I'm not sure when the + and - option comes into play.

4. I also know that LLC in my BIOS only has three values, enabled, disabled and auto. Which shall I choose?

Sorry for all the questions. I have the MOBO manual at hand too.

steedsofwar

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2015

I am 20 minutes into another AIDA test this time with FPU enabled. Although the OSD doesn't indicate that FPU is being tested in a separate line in the log like it does for the gpu test, the temps are much higher at a max reading of 68'C on the second hottest core although current reading shows 66'C on that core. I have updated the above dropbox link with SS's for these.

Is it still safe for me to proceed with your OC guide above? Has it even stressed the FPU yet, seeing as it doesn't state clearly, despite it being selected for the test?

Thanks again.

Your latest update shows Max frequency is 4.4GHz and not 4.5GHz. CPUz indicates 4203.53GHz I wonder what's causing that.
You don't have the ASrock software interfering do you, Is it switched off.? If it is then disable or uninstall if you have to. You can always install later.

Everything else looks good, so now Save a profile for that OC and try for next stage at same core voltage. Don't include any other tests ATM.

Next will be for your Dimms performance profile and to set your Primary Timings and voltage for your DIMMs performance.
In Windows open the Memory and SPD tabs in CPUz and write down the XMP profile. Go back to you Bios Overclock Tweaker menu.
Dram Preset to manual.
Enter values as for your XMP profile and set XMP voltage in Dram voltage field.

steedsofwar

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2015
That update was for the stress test running on the fpu at stock non over clock settings. Sorry I kept you. Don't stay up on my account. I'm gonna definitely post here as soon as I've set multiplier to 45 and ran a few tests with fpu enabled. If you're up then by all means, feedback is much appreciated. Else just comment when you get the next opportunity. (I was busy feeding/changing both the kids, soz).

It's no problem M8. just take your time and i'll be here when your done. I usually go till 1am my time so we have 3hrs yet.
Also do you have Cstates enabled in Bios. This is a power saving feature and should be disabled during the tests. You can switch it back on later.

steedsofwar

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2015

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1gzaxemdaudh7di/did%20the%204.5ghz%20OC%20apply.png?dl=0

I've been in the BIOS and followed your guidelines to the T, with exception of course with fields that don't match (such as llc to enabled only and Vcore value set to override mode and then 1.250v typed in via keyboard). I have uninstalled ASRock's Formula Drive app for OCing from within Windows. As in the link above, HWMonitor shows the max clock speed is still Intel's default 4.4ghz. I don't know why the 45 multiplier isn't sticking and why it shows 100.08 for BCLK in CPUZ when i'd set it manually to 100. Windows seems to be overriding the bios settings.

I will go into bios and disable all the c states too and see if that helps. I will probably ask about a couple of fields in the bios that you didn't mention but are nearly worded in the exact same way as the ones you did, i.e. it may be directly linked. For example: initial BCLK and eventual BCLK.