[SOLVED] Having problems with DRAM on B660m Gaming X Ax DDR4, info inside, brand new system

Maldini999

Reputable
Feb 16, 2020
Brand new system: i5 12400f, B660m Gaming X Ax DDR4, RX 6600xt, 32g DRAM (2x16)

*Ran memtest86 on new system and found multiple failures on same data bit (sometimes stuck high, sometimes stuck low).
*My dimms are slotted in slots A2 and B2.
*I removed the dimm in slot B2 to isolate the problem
*Memtest86 passes cleanly with one dimm in slot A2
*Computer functions with no issues in normal mode with one dimm (gaming, surfing, streaming etc) in slot 2.
*I ordered some new memory (2 more dimms since they came 2 in a pack) since I figured the dimm in slot 4 may have been bad.
*The new dimms arrived today. I plugged one of them into slot B2 and reran memtest86. It failed on the same data bit (handful of errors over the entire test).
*I plugged the second new dimm into slot B2 and memtest86 fails in the same data bit
*At this point, 3 brand new dimms have failed in slot B2 so I am assuming it is now the MB or the CPU.
*I moved the dimms to slots A1 and B1 but the computer will not boot.
*I removed the dimm from slot B1 and just tried to boot from the dimm in slot A1 but the computer won't boot.
*I moved the dimm back to slot A2 and the computer boots as normal.

Is there a jumper or something I need to change if I move from slots A2 and B2 to slots A1 and/or B1? It seems like the CPU just does not see any memory when I am in slot A1 and/or B1...
This is my MB.
https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_b660m-gaming-x-series_e_n.pdf

if you have any other debugging suggestions I would be happy to hear them...

Lutfij

Titan
Is there a jumper or something I need to change if I move from slots A2 and B2 to slots A1 and/or B1?
No. You could however power down the system, disconnect from the wall and display, then remove the CMOS battery for at least 30 mins. Reseat the rams onto the alternate slots and then replace the CMOS battery.

Might want to mention the make and model of the rams used on the build. Make and model of your PSU in your build? Would be a good idea to inspect the CPU socket for any bent or broken pins.

Reactions: Maldini999

Maldini999

Reputable
Feb 16, 2020
thank you for the info. I will try that.

PSU: EVGA 220-G5-0650-X1 80+ Gold 650W
DRAM: Silicon Power Value Gaming DDR4 3200 32GB(2x16)

While debugging the problem today, I did notice that the DRAM's I picked were not listed on the MB Memory Support list. I may get some DRAM on the support list just to rule that out.

Reactions: Lutfij

Lutfij

Titan
Ram not shown on the QVL doesn't mean they won't work. The QVL is there to state that the rams will work out of the box. So long as the slots and the rams conform to each other and you've inserted them in the right manner/order. You should be good to go.

BIOS version for your motherboard?

Reactions: Maldini999

Maldini999

Reputable
Feb 16, 2020
I have some information to report:

* I inspected the cpu socket with a magnifying glass. I did not see any bent pins.

* I removed the battery and when I replaced it, I was successfully able to boot using DRAM slots (A1 and B1). I was not able to do this before.

*After booting, I then ran memtest86 and it failed MUCH worse than when the dimms were in slots A2 and B2. Instead of 3-5 errors, I saw 50 and counting before I stopped it.

*I returned the system to a single DIMM in A2, which I am currently verifying still passes memtest86 (no errors yet and well past the point I usually see errors when I have two dimms)

Since I only see memtest86 fail when using 2 dimms, could that point to something wrong in a dual channel memory set up?

I will start researching how to update the BIOS that you recommended above.

Maldini999

Reputable
Feb 16, 2020
I have some more news, positive I think, to share. :)

I was able to successfully update the BIOS as you recommended and I verified the new version in System Information is correct.

The system has dimms in the recommended A2 and B2 slots and memtest86 is humming along with out errors!!

I have already made it to test 10 (the long sleep test) with no errors. I never once made it past test 5 with out errors. So this appears to be good news.

However, I have to admit I have no understanding how a BIOS update could effect bit errors in a memory test so I am not getting my hopes up too high yet.

One other item I need to check on is XMP. After I pulled the battery, I was wondering if XMP was shut off.....I see the words XMP on my screen when memtest86 is running, along with the proper speed (3200) but I don't know for sure if that means it is enabled.

If I get lucky enough and this passes a complete run, I will stop it and then check to make sure XMP is enabled and kick off another run. I will update as needed.

Thank you very much for your help!!! I will give proper trophy credit as soon as I have some confidence that you found the issue.

Maldini999

Reputable
Feb 16, 2020
I completed all 14 tests in memtest86 with no errors.

I went back in and saw XMP was disabled (I assume when battery was removed).

I reenabled it and reran memtest86. Sure enough, the same single bit errors have returned.

I disabled XMP and reran memtest86, and it is now running error free again.

It seems clear I have a timing path issue, especially related to slot B2 (slot A2 runs with XMP with no issues).

I believe with out XMP, I will be running at 2666 and with XMP I am running at 3200.

I am unsure what to do at this point. I still don't know if it is a memory issue or a board issue.

As a side related, what would give better performance?

Dual channel running at 2666 or single channel running at 3200. I have a feeling it is the dual channel set up.

I am going to leave it running at 2666 for now with both dimms installed and make sure the system runs smoothly in normal use.

Last edited:

Maldini999

Reputable
Feb 16, 2020
This will be my last post on this topic as my problem looks solved.

I purchased new drams today from a different manufacturer and made sure they were on the QVL list.

I have completed memtest86 with no errors, running at 3200, for the first time.

Thank you for the help!!