Having serious issues upgrading to Windows 7...

pawn3d

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
I've got a computer with Vista 32-bit and it sucks so I'm trying to upgrade to Windows 7, but the installer does not launch it just hangs with the cursor and the little spinning circle. I know it's not the disk because I tried it in Safe Move and the installer launched! (only for it to tell me I can't install Windows in Safe Mode, GRRRR!! :fou: )

I ran Combofix and it found some viruses and cleaned them up. I also ran chk dsk / r but I think it already did some major damage to the system because even installers for FireFox won't launch and it keeps saying things like
regsvr32.exe -bad image.
C:\Windows\AppPatch/AcGenral.DLL is either not designed to run on Windows or contains an error.

I told my friend about this and he was like "yea, Vista sucks... You should get Windows 7" and I was like DUH! :sarcastic:

pawn3d

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
You may use the wrong way to upgrade, here is an article for you
How to Upgrade XP or Vista to Windows 7:
http://www.pcwatch.com/Windows-7-tips/How-to-Upgrade-XP-or-Vista-to-Windows-7.html

That's not the problem... I can't seem to open ANY installer.

install Windows 7 for x86 and then apply almost all the drivers from the Vista Drivers' CD, except the Video Drivers, which must be taken from the intel page --> gm965 graphic drivers for Windows 7-RC.

tips can make Vista drivers work on Windows 7:

1. Right click on the setup.exe file
2. Go to properties and choose compatibility
3. Check on run as vista
4. Check on run as admin
5. Click apply and OK to exit
6. Right click on setup file again and make sure to run as Admin

pawn3d

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008

no such checkbox to run as vista or admin. Only windows 95,98, NT, etc...