[SOLVED] Having some HDR problems and can't select 10 bpc at 144hz on nvidia panel (monitor or gpu problem?)

MrSnipyCat

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2016
I bought a Ozone DSP27 IPS monitor 1 or 2 months ago, i never heard of this brand tbh but since i was looking for a 144hz 2k monitor and i was with a low budged i bought it. I'm also running a GTX 1080.

The monitor works fine but these past 1/2 weeks i have been having some issues with HDR (especially in gaming) image grading suddenly turns really dark from time to time but when i alt tab out of the game (in either fullscreen or windowed fullscreen) the color fixes itself but when i tab back in it turns back super dark and it only fixes by restarting the game, and sometimes it requires me to restart the pc.

I decided to switch from RGB output to ycbcr444 in the nvidia panel and the image got a little better but it still get darker from time to time, so i decided to change the color depth to 10 bpc but at 144hz the option doesn't show, it only shows at 120hz and 60hz.

N0Og1GR.png
kqKYZy3.png

I also noticed this week that the HDR video preview in the windows settings is all broken when HDR is on but this never happened since i bought the monitor.

X8ZU9TD.png

Can someone explain to me what could be causing this HDR problems and why can't i select 10 bpc on 144hz

Solution
hdr video preview is broken on win11, win 10 had it fine last month (unless it got broken since then with updates)
10bit hdr on 2k if its not available in 4:4:4 mode, then your monitor/cable doesnt supports it (could be bandwith limitation)
4:2:0 mode usualy can run that as it has lower bandwith...for movies its okay, but for PC text its not ok (text looks about same as on super nintendo)

when it gets suddenly dark, it could be some monitor setting like dynamic contrast or local dimming
hdr video preview is broken on win11, win 10 had it fine last month (unless it got broken since then with updates)
10bit hdr on 2k if its not available in 4:4:4 mode, then your monitor/cable doesnt supports it (could be bandwith limitation)
4:2:0 mode usualy can run that as it has lower bandwith...for movies its okay, but for PC text its not ok (text looks about same as on super nintendo)

when it gets suddenly dark, it could be some monitor setting like dynamic contrast or local dimming

Solution

MrSnipyCat

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2016

10bit is available in rgb, 4:4:2 and 4:4:4 at 120hz and 60hz, only in 144hz the only option i get is 8bit in all modes, i swapped todayto rgb 10bit 120hz because with a 1080 there's not a lot of games i even play at 144fps, I've been playing alot of forza horizon 5 and max fps i get is between 100/110fps so I'm ok with using 120hz. I still didn't test if using 10bpc fixed HDR.

About it going dark suddenly i set gamma to 2.0 a while ago since it was the brightest and dynamic contrast is off in the monitor settings, i don't know if Nvidia panel or windows 10 also has some setting for it though, one thing that happens and i forgot to mention is when HDR gets darker the screen goes black and green for like half a second as if the output changed but the screen is connected only with 1 display port into my gpu so maybe it has something to do with nvidia settings?

The display port cable is also new, it came with the monitor, it also came with a HDMI cable. Should i try using HDMI seeing if HDR also gets dark all of the sudden? And what's the cons of using HDMI over Display port? Loss of quality? Can i even use HDR with HDMI?

Thanks for the help.