Question Having to jumpstart PC because case buttons won't work

DigitalNinja

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2016
So I'm having yet another issue with my Z790 Tomahawk WiFi Here.

Basically I can't use the power button on my case with it plugged into the motherboard, It kinda worked a few times when I was putting it all back in the case, but now it just doesn't work, I have to jumpstart it with the screwdriver if I want to turn my PC on.

Is this a motherboard issue, or a case issue?

I want it to be a case issue, if that's actually a viable reason, that a case can be incompatible with a motherboard or whatever, but after the problems I've had with three different motherboards being DoA on arrival, I really just want it to work properly and not have to scramble for the car key (screwdriver) every time I want to turn my computer on.

What is the make/model of your case?
Verify that you are connecting to the proper front panel pins securely.
See that the led pins are connected properly.

It is possible that the case buttons are defective, and a call to the case manufacturer customer support will get you a replacement part.

Probably the easiest solution is to buy a remote front panel switch.
An example:
https://www.amazon.com/Computer-AZM...MI6sr389S3gwMVMaZaBR21mAI5EAQYASABEgLFLfD_BwE

So I'm having yet another issue with my Z790 Tomahawk WiFi Here.

Basically I can't use the power button on my case with it plugged into the motherboard, It kinda worked a few times when I was putting it all back in the case, but now it just doesn't work, I have to jumpstart it with the screwdriver if I want to turn my PC on.

Is this a motherboard issue, or a case issue?

I want it to be a case issue, if that's actually a viable reason, that a case can be incompatible with a motherboard or whatever, but after the problems I've had with three different motherboards being DoA on arrival, I really just want it to work properly and not have to scramble for the car key (screwdriver) every time I want to turn my computer on.
Your question includes solution, Start and Reset switches are just most simple ones, a momentary 2 pole switch like old stile door bell . It either works or not (contact not made) or possibly one of 2 wires broken. Some cases may have Start and Reset buttons in one piece so you have to choose one connector from 2.
If MB was DOA it wouldn't start even when pins are shorted.If your case has Restart button you can use it on the MB pins for start, they work exactly same but Start button is used more so it may be worn out earlier.

DigitalNinja

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2016
What is the make/model of your case?
Verify that you are connecting to the proper front panel pins securely.
See that the led pins are connected properly.

It is possible that the case buttons are defective, and a call to the case manufacturer customer support will get you a replacement part.

Probably the easiest solution is to buy a remote front panel switch.
An example:
https://www.amazon.com/Computer-AZM...MI6sr389S3gwMVMaZaBR21mAI5EAQYASABEgLFLfD_BwE
It's a Corsair Carbide, which I've had for about 6 years, I had an ROG Maximus motherboard in it before this MSI Tomahawk, the old motherboard worked fine with the pins and the case.

This is a very new issue for me. I thought the Tomahawk was dead until I touched the pins with a screwdriver. The motherbaord doesn't have a physical power button, and the case pins sit on the board quite loose as they did on the old board.

I can assure you that I'm connecting the front panel pins correctly.