Having trouble pinpointing issue causing crashes.

brasolis

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
Recently my computer has started to act up and I'm going off the deep end trying to diagnose the issue.

The issue is (semi?)random crashing. At first it was in games, then it spread to everything. Intermittently programs would crash to desktop with 0 warning. Sometimes I could run for an entire day with no problems but others I would CTD 5 times in 10 minute (The crashes seem to come in multiples at a time).

My first suspect was RAM/CPU but running MEMTEST86 for 24 hours showed 0 errors on 7 passes. I have had GPUs die on me in the past so I thought it might be that. Running Furmark for over 4 hours at 80 degrees 100% load didn't crash it (less than a year old GTX 970). After booting into safe mode and ripping out all drivers, then doing a fresh install the issue persisted with no change. Well I RMAd it to make sure that was ruled out. Games stopped crashing! I was running fine for 2 days, however intermittently the sound would cut out for 1-2 seconds then pop back in. This was just a minor inconvenience so I waved it off and kept going.

Last night I started crashing strangely. The monitors would turn off as if the GPU was unplugged, then just sit at black screens. The computer itself would keep running for a couple minutes before completely rebooting. Before the reboot however everything but the black screens seemed to work, I could change profiles on my mouse/keyboard and people could still hear me and I could hear them through VoIP. So this morning I tried to eliminate as many things as possible. I removed my PCI sound card, unplugged my speaker system (using a headset through an SPDIF connection currently), reinstalled drivers again, changed the PCI slot my GPU was in, re-seating RAM and every power connector. The issue persists. I just finished crashing 3 times (requiring reboot) in the last 15 minutes after having used the computer for 6 hours without issue. I have never heard of time-related computer crashes but so far it has only happened after 9pm.

Can anyone give me a hand here? At this point I'm guessing it's my power supply but I'm short on money and patience at this point so I would like some advice before going forward.

ps: Heat is not an issue here, CPU/GPU temps never even approach dangerous levels.

Here is some general PC specs: https://i.gyazo.com/4097db0a27c381ff5acfbcb6177103c6.png