HD 6800 - Computer froze now resolutions are all 4:3

jmflu

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2012
I have a Radeon 6870 and everything was fine running at 1900x1200 until my computer froze on day and it restarted with a low resolution.

In the display properties, the resolutions all looked different than before, ie the highest it lets me go up to is 1600x1200 -

Isnt this a 4:3? I have a widescreen monitor and it seems to suddenly only give me 4:3 resolutions...

I also noticed that I think it used to be 'named' in windows but now it is called a 'Generic Non-pnp Monitor'

I have it hooked up with a DVItoVGA converter and then into my I-Inc monitor (http://www.i-inc-usa.com/product/ih282hpb.htm)

. It worked fine before the crash, I have tried updating drivers etc and dont know where to go from here.

fbvrf6.png

jmflu

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2012
Ok that ''fixed'' it and its now recognized and doing full resolution. But why would it stop working with the DVI?

I ask because I was using the HDMI for my other monitor and my video card only had 1 hdmi output.

So it would be nice to get it working like it was before the crash. (it was doing full resolution with the DVI/VGA converter)

JKatwyopc

Distinguished
I saw a similar issue when I upgraded to windows 7 a couple of years ago. on the initial install screen res was just fine but after a few updates I couldn't get the VGA input on my monitor to set the correct resolotion (1680X1050). It has to do with the way windows reads the resolution information form the display. VGA (analog) uses a different method from HDMI (digital). Only thing I could figure was that Win7 was updated to use the digital mode and somehow the analog mode got broken. It was very annoying.

You video card should have at least one or two DVI outputs. Try getting a DVI to HDMI cable. I have two identical monitors and one is connected with a DVI to DVI cable and the other is connected with a HDMI to DVI cable. Since both DVI and HDMI are digital it works just fine.

Unistall and reinstall the drivers. Thats where the problem is. HDMI has all sorts of issues for monitors. It really shouldn't be used if it can be avoided.