HD 6850 added crossfire video card cannot find enable crossfire

leathersmt

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
I have spent three hours and reloaded Catalyst control center as suggested (checked all trees) :pfff: somewhere and I STILL cannot find where to enable the second card....................getting stressed................help soon please.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Kinda off topic to your problem, but...
jjb8675309 brings up a valid point about microstutter and Xfire with only 2 cards. (SLI apparently only fares a bit better). But from my experience with my 2 HD 6850s @ x16, x16, it isn't noticable in most games. So far I have only noticed it in DE:HR. And then only in the DLC for the game. And I have lots 'o games! And just recently, I was using 2 GTX 460's in SLI and never noticed it. Maybe I'm just not that sensitive unless it gets really bad. This article was passed on to me by the fine folks here at Tom's. So I'll pass it on to you...
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/radeon-geforce-stutter-crossfire,review-32256.html
Especially check out the last page.

^ cant imagine why a dual 16x lanes would reduce the micro stutter being that the 6850 doesn't even max out a 8x lane, in my experiences with 6870 crossfire it was unbearable and I will not be going back to a mid range crossfire solution for a long time, NVidia seems to have much less of a problem with micro stutter especially when asking users on toms that actually own such setups...

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

If it happens to me with another game, I may do the same. I've always been a Nvidia/Nvidia SLI user, but wanted to try out Crossfire. No complaints other than the micro stutter in my one game. Oh yes, there is one other complaint; I miss the Nvidia application/game profiles that you can actually have access to.

instead of just accepting microstutter, you should look for a fix, like this http://www.overclock.net/graphics-cards-general/796040-new-crossfire-micro-stutter-fix.html
microstutter should be something that you can barely notice, shouldnt be big stuttering, many people get other forms of stuttering confused with microstuttering.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

As I said... I personally only notice it in the DLC for DE:HR. The entire DE:HR game itself seemed to play stutter-free, as do my other games. From what I've read, there were some 'improvements' made with the DLC that weren't in the original game. So that could be an issue.
But thax for the link. I'll check it out.

as much as you refuse to believe it microstuttering exists and that is what plagued my previous 6870 crossfire setup, it was not a user end problem as you keep implying, imo it is absolutley pathtetic not to mention flickering and poor drivers for dual card setups overall. 6950s and up seem to work good in crossfire but the fact of the matter is the 6850/70 crossfire is a huge failure

leathersmt

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011

Now I resinstalled all ATI Software and not it works. No stuttering, and it is fast even by 3d mark. Thank you all for your help.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Very good. Glad to hear it's solved. Btw, if you want to see a good time demo for stuttering (and you own the game), run the Metro 2033 Benchmark included in the game.
http://physxinfo.com/news/4079/benchmarking-tool-available-for-metro-2033/

It will display a detailed graph of the run(s) with any sudden dips that stuttering might produce if present.

jjb, I know you had a bad time with CFX but you've got to get over it! Many people have zero issues with crossfire like myself. And you know what? Just one week ago I built a PC for a buddy with an i7 2600k @4.6ghz, Asus Maximus Extreme-Z mobo, Corsair HX1050 PSU, 16gigs 1600mhz RAM, and an eVGA Classified GTX 590. It stutter like crazy in every benchmark. Microstutter is a universal thing that either will or will not affect a multi gpu set up regardless of vendor.

Whoa whoa wolf I will not get over it until the problem does not exist which it clearly still does AMD treats midrange crossfire customers as a minority beyond microstuttering the drivers are shitte.

With regards to the 590 I do not deny that it exists in higher NV platforms, if that is true, thats pathetic as well...

I will refuse to deny the issue exists, I will not get over it and every-time someone asks if they should get 6870 crossfire or less I will def not recommend it...

I appreciate your opinion/input but you are not convincing me otherwise so lets just leave it at that, there are many in this forum that would back up each of our sides respectively but there is no need for that, I will stop bitching about low/mid CFX but I refuse to recommend a pair of 6850s(70)

when you spend $350+ USDA of hard earned dollars on gpus they better damn well perform

so you are telling me that microstutter is a universal and random thing and therefore you cannot tell if you will have iit until you throw all of your components together!? That makes little sense to me I am thinking more along the lines that certain combinations of components cause it and certain ones do not.