HD 7870 overheating after baking in the oven

macors

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Hello there,

A week ago my HD 7870 broke down - produced some artifacts and crashed the PC afterwards. It couldn't even boot to desktop after that, so I decided to bake the card.

After baking (190 celcius degrees for 9 minutes) I put the card back together with new thermal paste and it booted fine, no artifacts. However despite being able to produce the same fps as before, the card overheats up to 100 degrees celsius in a very short time (around 10-20 seconds) and then just changes the clocks on its own(1000->450 mhz on core, memory lowered greatly as well but cannot remember now) and stays that way until reset. Under lowered clocks it still does heat up to around 60 degrees on locked fps (from ~150->60 fps lock in cs:go)!

Can you help me with this weird issue?

Thanks in advance!

I repaired a 7850 by baking it a few weeks ago. Haven't had any issues since. I would remove the heatsink, clean it, reapply thermal paste and re-install the heatsink. It may not be on properly or the thermal paste may not be applied correctly(too much or not enough). I believe that the GPU is very small, so you wouldn't need much thermal paste(not as much a a CPU).

Too much Paste. Not enough paste. Either of these would limit the overall effectiveness of the heatsink to transfer hear from the GPU.

Nor correctly installing the heatsink (not tight enough, or not squarely on the GPU) would also limit the effectiveness of the heatsink to cool.

This is why I suggest taking it off, and re-installing it. It's a simple thing to do, and just may fix your issue

DaManJ

Reputable
Oct 9, 2015
I just baked a Sapphire HD 7870 after it had exact same issue as you. Artifacts then wouldn't boot to windows. Artifacts even visible on bios screen.
Baked it about 200C for 8 mins. Now it's working well!
It was overheating at first, but there are little plastic screw hold protectors on the GPU side of the PCB, and it didn't seem to like me re-using them. So i just removed them completely. Then getting a good heat seal onto the GPU and not overheating now.