HD %#@ HOT!

orionman

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
Ok guys, need help on this one.
I have 2x120G Sata drives, and they are both near my floppy drive... So it is like :

_____
_____<---- CD drive
_____<---- DVD-Burner drive
_____<---- Empty
_____<---- Empty
...___<---- HD2
...___<---- Floppy drive
...___<---- HD1

The 2 HDs are soooo hot, I can't put my fingers on them for more than 2 sec. I know I must do something for this but what? Yeah I have some free space with the DVD-CD drives, but I just can't figure out how to put one there, It's not on the same format. I don't have what it takes to build a homemade adapter...
I'm about to cool my whole case from the side so it's gonna help...
My HDs are so hot that they are heating my RAM just near them, my RAM is also too hot too be touched..

thx for the help

Orion

_________
Do it

G

You can buy 5,25" to 3.5" converter so your CDROM bay could acommodate a HD.

And yes can you put a 80mm fan in fron of it?

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Ditch the floppy. how often do you use it? allows a bit more airflow around the drives.
Stick an 80mm Fan blowing onto the drives. preferably in front, so it's a case intake fan as well. This makes a <i>massive</i> difference. If you can't stick it in front, then on the side will do.

My drive cage has 2 80Gb Maxtors in it, but I've not used the 'normal' mounting holes - instead I've just used 2 screws per drive, and mounted them further back inside the case than is 'normal'. This gives enough room to mount an 80mm Fan in the front of the drive cage, and I've put the little plastic covers which you remove for floppy/zip drives back on with loads of holes drilled into them.

Obviously I wouldn't advise that approach if you move your PC about much, but if it just sits under a desk then there's no real harm, and it shows you can 'bend the rules' a little if you need to, for the sake of your components.

I also have another disk in a 5.25 bay using one of the aforementioned adapters, coincidentally. You should be able to get one from most hardware places. Mine was originally for a 3.5" Zip drive..

---
<font color=red>"Life is <i>not</i> like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of jalapeńos - what you do today might burn your a<b></b>ss tommorrow."

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Get a 3.5" to 5.25" converter, move HD1 up to the slot above HD2, then get a fan to blow across them.

If you can move your floppy down 1, do it. If not, just move HD1. For even better flow, get 2 converters and put both HDDs in the upper slots - but only if you have a fan to go across the front of that so it can get airflow.

Mike.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.
-- Groucho Marx</font color=blue>

orionman

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
NICE, thx, since I can't move my floppy and I wont be using my 2 free bay, i'll move my drives up there. And good idea for the fan in front, so I might buy two 80mm fans, one for the side of the case and one in front. As a newb in case modding, I dont know which fan I should take. Not looking for extreme silence, but I want to whatch dvds on my TV (2 meters away) without being completly disturbed by the computer sound. Any suggestions? I know it's becoming a cooling topic but since the thread has started, i'll stay here.

I'm from Canada, so I prefer buying online from a canadian store. In another topic, someone told me to avoid tigerdirect.ca :-o Still don't know why...
anyways, if you guys can give me some hints or even check what I can get there (http://www.bigfootcomputers.com/)
( or any other store )

I need to learn
thx

Orion

_________
Do it<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by OrionMan on 08/03/05 09:50 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

joe_tlj

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2003
As a noob in case modding
You know, people usually don't call themselves that.
<A HREF="http:// http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=noob " target="_new">http:// http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=noob </A>
You're probably shootiong for the second definition there, but this is just a heads-up that there is more than one meaning for the word, and most of them are insults.

Here's the more positive definition of "Newb" from urban dicionary,

A term used to describe a inexperienced gamer/person/etc. Unlike a noob, a newb is someone who actually wants to get better.
Leet Player: Why is he just looking at the wall?
Other Player: I think hes a newb.

I can't breath!
Forgive me a cruel chuckle, hehe, power!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Joe_tlj on 08/03/05 02:02 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

orionman

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
Hum... maybe I should apologize for not having english as my first language?

You went straight to the point uhuhuh, I wont use that word anymore.

And should I call you a newb or a noob for that quality link to the urban dictionary?

here's a hug xoxoxoxo

_________
Do it<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by OrionMan on 08/03/05 09:57 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

Hahah on vo parler quebec dabord!Sti!

Vantec, stealth, Antec tri-cool, good stuff.
Just go buy it at MicroBytes =Þ

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0

orionman

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
Bin kin, kes tu veu d'plus ke rencontrer un voisin pas si loin sur un forum de c'te genre la
hehehe

tu viens d'kel koin?

Microbytes ca suce pas??? LOL

_________
Do it

joe_tlj

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2003
I don't really care what you call me, odds are you won't say what you mean anyway.

Try not to hurt yourself sweetheart!

I can't breath!
Forgive me a cruel chuckle, hehe, power!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Joe_tlj on 08/03/05 10:05 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

RichPLS

Champion
I would say if case is warm to the touch, there are three things to lookfor and improve...
Airflow, ventilation and airflow....

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

joe_tlj

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2003
ok, you may have a point there.

I'm pulling my list of "hot things" from my experience with my uncle's PC, which had a shabby heatsink, bad airflow, and bad PSU. It was, no, is a P4 1.4ghz with 256 mb of PC133. It was loud, slow, and very, very hot. An Antec case w PSU fixed most of that though. Now it's just slow.

I can't breath!
Forgive me a cruel chuckle, hehe, power!

G

Hehe, j'habitde pas mal downtown dans lcoin d'atwater/sherbrooke... Pis toi?

Et euhhh ouin microbytes ca suce un peu mais ca fait la job!
Moi j'achete sur <A HREF="http://www.sohodiffusion.com" target="_new">http://www.sohodiffusion.com</A>, yon un pickup desk pres de verdun / rue wellington, yon des ben bon prix!

orionman

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
Allright thx guys,
I'm on my way to get some cooling stuff.
So 1 80mm in front, 1 80mm on the side panel and I already have a smaller one on the back, under the PS. Should I get a second small fan to push hot air out? or the PS + 1 under should be enough since I also have a PCI-fan for my video card?

BTW I sure have a crap case, it's all AOpen baby
:-S

Hey Labbbby j'ai pas encore checker mais jvais essayer de te contacter par mail, question de pas trop emmerder le monde ici, mais jai une couple de question, tu pourrais surement m'eclairer rapidement.. Si jtrouve pas ton mail, email moi sur hotmail à orionman911 (j'ai msn aussi) En passant chu a Longueuil.

_________
Do it

G

IF noice isnt a problem add another exhaust fan too "balance" the airflow... It will create a better circulation wich is what, ultimately, cools your component!