[SOLVED] HDbaseT --> no signal on TVs ?

lauraparis

Prominent
Aug 26, 2020
Hello,

For the small fitness center I'm about to open in Paris, I have a HUGE problem with HDbaseT.

I want to send my videos to 4 TVs. For the sound system, all is ok, I extract the sound from the PC visa a USB port and a Focusrite device (--> amplis --> passive speakers), but for image, big problems...

My configuration is:

PC Graphic Card Nvidia Geforce GT1030
-->(HDMI)--> Blustream HSP14CS (transmitter)
-->(cat6)--> Blustream HEX70B-RX (receiver)
-->(HDMI)--> 4K TV LG 75SM9000

I have 4 TVs, and the 4 cat6 cable lengths are: 24 meters / 32 meters / 38 meters / 43 meters

With the 43 meters cable, no power light on the HDbaseT receiver. So the TV displays "no signal" of course.

I have simple UTP cat6 cables, so I bought S/FTP cat6 cables --> same problem.
I changed ALL the HDMI cables with costly shielded HDMI --> same problem.
I changed ALL the RJ45, trying costly shielded ones --> same problem.
I tried lower PC video resolutions --> same problem.
I tuned the HDbaseT transmistter EDID to 3 ON/ 2 OFF/ 2 OFF/ 1 ON (4K30Hz 4:4:4/2.0ch) --> same problem.
I tuned the HDbaseT transmistter EDID to 3 OFF/ 2 ON/ 2 ON/ 1 OFF (4K60Hz 4:2:0/2.0ch) --> same problem.
I tuned the HDbaseT transmistter EDID to 3 OFF/ 2 OFF/ 2 OFF/ 1 OFF (1080p/2.0ch) --> same problem.

Of course, I used a test device to check the cat6 cable: the cable is ok.

Normally, all my installation would support 60Hz 4:4:4 and 4K. I don't even tried 4K, I only need 1080p. But even with 1080p, problem.

The Blustream normally would be ok with the lenght of my cables. But even when I connect only 1 cable, the 43 meters cable, that long cable doesn't work.

Where is the problem? The graphic card? I have to add a DC12V power device to the 43 meters away receiver (normally the PoC is ok with my lenghts?

Weeks and weeks trying to find a solution... :/

Thanks a lot,

Laura

https://zupimages.net/viewer.php?id=22/15/ya4x.jpg

Solution
Thanks for the reply. Here, they say that the received is ok even if limited to 4K 60Hz 4:2:0 8-bit maximum :
https://www.futureshop.co.uk/blustr...io-breakout-edid-management-and-hdmi-loop-out
looks like its compatible. ;)
as it doesnt get power from copper cat6e (it should be copper at this lenght), then you will just need to attach power source to your receiver

at 43 meters voltage drop on copper is about 3 volts, so receiver gets ~9 volts which is not enough to power it up

i cant find anywhere in papers that it will travel 70m without any external power source, but all theirs receivers have 12v power inputs...
that transmitter has feature called CSC which is color space conversion, which is pretty much compression to save bandwith, your receiver doesnt support CSC, another thing to note is that transmitter has HDCP 2.2, while receiver doesnt, you would need different receiver which is compatible with your transmitter, look here for HDBaseT CSC receivers

Thanks for the reply. Here, they say that the received is ok even if limited to 4K 60Hz 4:2:0 8-bit maximum :
https://www.futureshop.co.uk/blustr...io-breakout-edid-management-and-hdmi-loop-out
looks like its compatible. ;)
as it doesnt get power from copper cat6e (it should be copper at this lenght), then you will just need to attach power source to your receiver

at 43 meters voltage drop on copper is about 3 volts, so receiver gets ~9 volts which is not enough to power it up

i cant find anywhere in papers that it will travel 70m without any external power source, but all theirs receivers have 12v power inputs, which means ~35 meters from transmitter without external power

Solution

lauraparis

Prominent
Aug 26, 2020
Interesting information, thanks a lot. So, I'll add a power supply.

Maybe we lose voltage because of the cable quality and I have to add a power supply to the receiver?

I also maybe have to change the cables? It seems that there is a fire risk with CCA cables (my place is public, so all must be ok for security)? My current simple UTP cables are all in PVC trunkings.

So, for new cables, what do I need to ensure PoE?
  • Copper mandatory?
  • F/UTP and no UTP?
  • Cat7 possible? (on amazon, it seems that there are more products available on Cat7 than on Cat6)?
  • 23AWG?

Is this cable nice? https://www.amazon.fr/HB-DIGITAL-halogène-Conforme-données-Ethernet/dp/B082Y7C6BZ

Maybe we lose voltage because of the cable quality and I have to add a power supply to the receiver?

I also maybe have to change the cables? It seems that there is a fire risk with CCA cables (my place is public, so all must be ok for security)? My current simple UTP cables are all in PVC trunkings.
voltage drop is normal, but....
oh its not copper, that explains alot, CCA has high resistance, thats why its not suitable to carry power with it
link above with PoE calculator fails that test at 12v, 9,5watts at 43meters

So, for new cables, what do I need to ensure PoE?
  • Copper mandatory?
  • F/UTP and no UTP?
  • Cat7 possible? (on amazon, it seems that there are more products available on Cat7 than on Cat6)?
  • 23AWG?
  • copper is mandatory
  • hmm none of them? :) S/FTP, SF/FTP or F/FTP they have good shielding and EMI properties (SF/FTP is best, two others are sligtly worse but still good)
  • Cat7 is possible
  • 23AWG is recommended

cables looks fine