[SOLVED] HDD 100% USAGE 0Kb/s READ AND WRITE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levi Dz

Commendable
Sep 2, 2019
(sorry for my bad English).
Hello i have a ssd and hdd. my windows is installed in ssd. sometimes the hdd usage gets up to 100% with 0kb/s read and write and every restart it start repairing my drive D (hdd drive)
and it takes forever to finish. I tried everything (disabling windows defender. windows services. doing a virus scan . SMART check and the hdd was fine ). I did a clean install windows and it was working fine for a week and the problem returned. So i connected my hdd to my brothers pc formated it and took his hdd. my hdd is working fine until now in my brother pc . when i connected The other hdd (which i took from my brother) in my pc it worked fine for a week. then the same problem.
PC speces:
Ryzen 5 2400g
A320 MK PRIME ASUS
VEGA 11 APU
250W PSU
16GB RAM
ADATA SU 650 120GB SSD
500GB WD GREEN HDD
UxAfmBh.png

Last edited:

popatim

Titan
From your HDSentinel log it looks like you ran into a batch of sectors that it had trouble reading (Pending sectors = 000001b) so you may want to keep an eye on the SMART for this drive and see if you get an Reallocated (Failed sectors that data was successfully recovered & moved) or Offline Uncorrectable Sectors.

Either of those two entries will have me shopping for a new HDD.

Levi Dz

Commendable
Sep 2, 2019
From your HDSentinel log it looks like you ran into a batch of sectors that it had trouble reading (Pending sectors = 000001b) so you may want to keep an eye on the SMART for this drive and see if you get an Reallocated (Failed sectors that data was successfully recovered & moved) or Offline Uncorrectable Sectors.

Either of those two entries will have me shopping for a new HDD.
Sorry but i dont understand to much in hard drives can you tell me exactly what i have to do?

popatim

Titan
Step1 - is always have important stuff backed up to other drives or media. the more copies you have then the safe they are. You decide what stuff you don't want to lose when the drive dies and keep in mind that any drive, even a brand new one, can die without warning and have no chance of data recovery.

As for what should you do, I see two choices:
A: Keep on using the drive but keep an eye on those sectors and keep using the drive. Any increase in "Reallocated" or "Uncorrectible" sectors is often a sign of an impending drive failure.

B: Buy a new drive and replace this one. If you decide to go this route then let us know your budget and we can offer suggestions.

By the way, Pending sectors are sectors that the drive had trouble reading and has scheduled for retesting. Sectors that fail testing get marked as bad & the drive begins trying to recover any data in them. If the drive can recover the data it will put it in a spare sector and mark this one as Reallocated and if it cannot then it will mark the bad sector as Uncorrectible.

Levi Dz

Commendable
Sep 2, 2019
Step1 - is always have important stuff backed up to other drives or media. the more copies you have then the safe they are. You decide what stuff you don't want to lose when the drive dies and keep in mind that any drive, even a brand new one, can die without warning and have no chance of data recovery.

As for what should you do, I see two choices:
A: Keep on using the drive but keep an eye on those sectors and keep using the drive. Any increase in "Reallocated" or "Uncorrectible" sectors is often a sign of an impending drive failure.

B: Buy a new drive and replace this one. If you decide to go this route then let us know your budget and we can offer suggestions.

By the way, Pending sectors are sectors that the drive had trouble reading and has scheduled for retesting. Sectors that fail testing get marked as bad & the drive begins trying to recover any data in them. If the drive can recover the data it will put it in a spare sector and mark this one as Reallocated and if it cannot then it will mark the bad sector as Uncorrectible.
no i dont think that the hdd is dying because yesterday i did a format to the disk and did a check with Hard disk sentinel . Reallocated and pending sectors are 0 now.

Levi Dz

Commendable
Sep 2, 2019
this happend to my hdd brothers too i wanted to test his hdd in my pc. the hdd worked fine for 1 week then got corrupted after i formated the hdd and moved it back to my brother pc it worked fine until now.

popatim

Titan
no i dont think that the hdd is dying because yesterday i did a format to the disk and did a check with Hard disk sentinel . Reallocated and pending sectors are 0 now.
That's great!
As said, pending means the drive detected a problem and has scheduled a more extensive test.
If you don't have reallocated or uncorrectible then it means those 120 sectors passed!!

Levi Dz

Commendable
Sep 2, 2019
That's great!
As said, pending means the drive detected a problem and has scheduled a more extensive test.
If you don't have reallocated or uncorrectible then it means those 120 sectors passed!!
what i should do now? the hdd will get corrupted again because it happend to me before the hdd got corrupted and i did a clean install and formated everything . the hdd works fine for weeks and then got corrupted

Some folks will forgive a drive for having one pending/bad sector issue, if the count does not begin gradually increasing...(I've seen a drive in the above condition not deteriorate further even after a year of continued office environment use)

However, it likely should not be a drive you now want to solely depend on for critical backups.

Status
Not open for further replies.