[SOLVED] HDD and DVD drive not found after new PSU and Graphics card in?

sirelaskyx

Reputable
Nov 14, 2018
I finally got my new PSU and RTX 2070 in and working- PC boots and is running fine. However, my 2TB Seagate Barracuda (with all my games, files, etc) and my DVD drive are not showing up at all. I went back in my case and both have all the cables plugged in. Am I doing something wrong? I checked in the computer management and only my SSD C: drive is showing up.

Solution
I'd agree that the HDD is fried. Bummer. Same with the DVD?

I wonder if the Windows has a lot of pointers to the now non-existent drive and is acting funny because of it. You might want to fix your drive situation and go with a clean install.

smashjohn

Reputable
Aug 14, 2017
Quadruple check your cables.. both ends of the sata data cable and both ends of the power cables. Sata data cables come loose easy when you rewiring things. I'm guessing something isn't connected solidly. Otherwise try a different power port on your PSU. It probably has more than one drive power output. Good Luck.

sirelaskyx

Reputable
Nov 14, 2018
SATA's are in for sure on both ends, I rechecked again. I tried a different port on PSU for power too and still nothing. I really dunno what's up, everything is in and the cable itself has to be fine because my SSD is working.

I tried downloading a game to my SSD and Steam cant find that drive? It says I have no storage available...

sirelaskyx

Reputable
Nov 14, 2018
Okay so I've gone into my BIOS and it shows the SSD working. I've swapped my SATAs between my HDD and SSD and the SSD shows up on every power and SATA so the cords work... But my HDD is not showing up any? I've plugged the cords into each slot and still only SSD shows up...

sirelaskyx

Reputable
Nov 14, 2018
I could have fried my 2TB HDD is what most have told me because I originally tried using the old PSU power cables (my fault) but my SSD is still being wonky with not letting me download stuff?

smashjohn

Reputable
Aug 14, 2017
I'd agree that the HDD is fried. Bummer. Same with the DVD?

I wonder if the Windows has a lot of pointers to the now non-existent drive and is acting funny because of it. You might want to fix your drive situation and go with a clean install.

Solution